Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

switch to unicode Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, December 8, 2014 4:25 PM
I have about ten SSIS packages that use varchar and char columns in tables. Most are built from the wizard.

Is there a simple way to change the columns from varchar to nvarchar to update the SSIS package? We also may be adding some length to the fields.

Post #1339994
Posted Monday, August 6, 2012 3:18 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 1:39 PM
By 'simple', I presume you mean without going through the packages and editing the meta data manually? I'm afraid the answer is 'no'.

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

When you ask a question (and please do ask a question: "My T-SQL does not work" just doesn't cut it), please provide enough information for us to understand its context.

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt. (Mark Twain)
Post #1340448
Posted Monday, August 6, 2012 11:13 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Friday, December 12, 2014 8:24 AM
Unless you need the extended international character set, you should probably stay with varchar.

To change all the reports I would open the reports code (view code) and do a Find/Replace. But don't do a Replace All or you may find that you change some things you didn't intend.
Post #1340768
Posted Monday, August 6, 2012 2:13 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Daniel Bowlin (8/6/2012)
Unless you need the extended international character set, you should probably stay with varchar.

To change all the reports I would open the reports code (view code) and do a Find/Replace. But don't do a Replace All or you may find that you change some things you didn't intend.

This is SSIS, not SSRS!

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

When you ask a question (and please do ask a question: "My T-SQL does not work" just doesn't cut it), please provide enough information for us to understand its context.

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt. (Mark Twain)
Post #1340883
Posted Tuesday, August 7, 2012 6:28 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

ok thanks.

Post #1341192
Posted Wednesday, August 8, 2012 6:24 AM

SSC Veteran

Some good information:

http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/ssis/working-with-ssis-data-types/?utm_source=ssc&utm_medium=email-main&utm_content=ssisdatatypes-20120723&utm_campaign=SQL

Post #1341816
Posted Wednesday, August 8, 2012 7:19 AM

SSCertifiable

And here it is again as a hyperlink:

http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/ssis/working-with-ssis-data-types/?utm_source=ssc&utm_medium=email-main&utm_content=ssisdatatypes-20120723&utm_campaign=SQL

Post #1341855
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse