Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

switch to unicode Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 10:49 AM
I have about ten SSIS packages that use varchar and char columns in tables. Most are built from the wizard.

Is there a simple way to change the columns from varchar to nvarchar to update the SSIS package? We also may be adding some length to the fields.

Post #1339994
Posted Monday, August 6, 2012 3:18 AM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Today @ 8:25 AM
By 'simple', I presume you mean without going through the packages and editing the meta data manually? I'm afraid the answer is 'no'.

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

When you ask a question (and please do ask a question: "My T-SQL does not work" just doesn't cut it), please provide enough information for us to understand its context.
Post #1340448
Posted Monday, August 6, 2012 11:13 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Thursday, July 24, 2014 8:41 AM
Unless you need the extended international character set, you should probably stay with varchar.

To change all the reports I would open the reports code (view code) and do a Find/Replace. But don't do a Replace All or you may find that you change some things you didn't intend.
Post #1340768
Posted Monday, August 6, 2012 2:13 PM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Daniel Bowlin (8/6/2012)
Unless you need the extended international character set, you should probably stay with varchar.

To change all the reports I would open the reports code (view code) and do a Find/Replace. But don't do a Replace All or you may find that you change some things you didn't intend.

This is SSIS, not SSRS!

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

When you ask a question (and please do ask a question: "My T-SQL does not work" just doesn't cut it), please provide enough information for us to understand its context.
Post #1340883
Posted Tuesday, August 7, 2012 6:28 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

ok thanks.

Post #1341192
Posted Wednesday, August 8, 2012 6:24 AM

SSC Veteran

Some good information:

http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/ssis/working-with-ssis-data-types/?utm_source=ssc&utm_medium=email-main&utm_content=ssisdatatypes-20120723&utm_campaign=SQL

Post #1341816
Posted Wednesday, August 8, 2012 7:19 AM

SSCarpal Tunnel

And here it is again as a hyperlink:

http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/ssis/working-with-ssis-data-types/?utm_source=ssc&utm_medium=email-main&utm_content=ssisdatatypes-20120723&utm_campaign=SQL

Post #1341855
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse