Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Receive Data from Oracle Internet Directory Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, August 8, 2012 5:57 AM
Hi all...

I have to create a view that shows data from a OID (Oracle Internet Directory).
I created a linked server, that uses "OLE DB Provider for Microsoft Directory Services" and tried to query by LDAP. But it does not work.

Anyone with experience?

Thanks
Post #1339042
Posted Thursday, August 2, 2012 6:59 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 7:10 PM
I googled "SQL server linked server to "Oracle Internet Directory" " with no luck at all;

how often does the data change in the "Oracle Internet Directory"? is it something you could export to text, and import into SQL via BULK INSERT or SSIS as a table instead of a view, refreshing it at intervals appropriate to the amount of changes that occur? if it's pretty much static, it doesn't really need to be a view to a linked server right? if it changes a lot, i would look deeper into creating the linked server to do it.

Lowell

--There is no spoon, and there's no default ORDER BY in sql server either.
Actually, Common Sense is so rare, it should be considered a Superpower. --my son
Post #1339116
Posted Thursday, August 2, 2012 8:43 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Thanks for your reply.

This OID changes daily. In the end this should become the source for a synchronization between the OID and MSSQL-Data. And this synchronization should run unattended several times per day.
Post #1339230
Posted Thursday, August 2, 2012 9:23 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 8:15 AM
Tis (8/2/2012)
... tried to query by LDAP. But it does not work.

Would you mind in defining "does not work"?

OID is supported by an Oracle database therefore a SQL Server side linked server pointing to the underlying Oracle database - provided the connection presents itself with the right credentials, should suffice to provide the needed access.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
Post #1339286
Posted Thursday, August 2, 2012 9:51 AM
Forum Newbie

I don't mind defining...

I get errors like:
The provider indicates that the user did not have the permission to perform the operation.
Access to the remote server is denied because no login-mapping exists.

But anyway, I guess it is just not possible to access OID by "OLE DB Provider for Microsoft Directory Services".

I can't access the Oracle-DB, the company policy does not allow that. I have to access OID by LDAP.

Tis
Post #1339320
Posted Thursday, August 2, 2012 9:53 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Thursday, August 21, 2014 1:20 AM
Tis (8/2/2012)

I get errors like:
The provider indicates that the user did not have the permission to perform the operation.
Access to the remote server is denied because no login-mapping exists.

Tis

Sounds like you're not using the right credentials to the OID.
Post #1339322
Posted Friday, August 3, 2012 1:13 AM
Forum Newbie

Sounds like you're not using the right credentials to the OID.

Yes, but I can login to OID with these credentials with a LDAP Browser.
This is what I have to use as value for the user name: cn=clientele_dev_01,cn=tech_users,cn=dev_env,o=******,c=ch
I guess that OID can't handle the credentials if I'm using the ADsDSOObject to connect. ... I dont't know.

I tried for days to find a working solution. I would like to know if anyone ever accomplished to read data from OID into a view.

Tis
Post #1339660
Posted Friday, August 3, 2012 7:21 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Thursday, August 21, 2014 1:20 AM
Right, your LDAP credentials may be fine. But SQL Server isn't connecting to the OID Linked Server using LDAP. I know the provider you're using should technically be LDAP b/c that's what AD uses also but I wouldn't trust MS LDAP and Oracle LDAP to speak to each other easily.

I know it mentions SQL 2005, but have you tried something like this: MSDN.

Edited for clarity.
Post #1339809
Posted Tuesday, August 7, 2012 1:21 AM
Forum Newbie

I know it mentions SQL 2005, but have you tried something like this: MSDN.

Thank you for this link but I still can not find a working solution for MSSQL-OID.
Post #1341048
Posted Tuesday, August 7, 2012 10:06 AM
Forum Newbie

I have found no solution for this.
Best answer is here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqldataaccess/thread/f1265c43-da8d-44c5-8788-14639ba01376

Thank you for trying to help me.
Post #1341384
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse