Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

No Limits Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, September 15, 2014 11:54 AM
Steve Jones - SSC Editor (8/2/2012)
zintp (8/2/2012)
We've seen RFPs asking for 2 terabytes of data in the cloud with 24 hour recovery time, with the data encrypted at rest. I can't find anyone who can provide SQL Server Enterprise Edition (to use TDE and partitioning) at that scale as a cloud provider (which to me means the replication over to a failover node and data is handled by them, or so I hope). Just investigating this -- any suggestions?

No idea so far, but I'll look. I suspect only AWS/Azure/Google could do this right now. Most of the other offerings are less filled out.

The one idea is that most of the companies do offer just a VM, so you can install SQL Server EE and use TDE, however if you are doing that, you're essentially doing a co-location, but allowing someone else to buy the hardware. Not sure what the point is there.

Microsoft has as platform called Cosmos. That beast sucks in the entire Web in a day or two, to have it indexed for Bing. The basic allocation of space is 50 TB. It is meant for non-volatile data -- an archived Web page may be (and often will be) superceded by today's version, but it does not change the yesterday's state. It is a high-performance system but not in terms of transactions.
Post #1339396
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse