Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Just a rant about how third parties design apps Expand / Collapse
Author

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 2:35 PM
jeff.mason (8/2/2012)
opc.three (8/2/2012)
jeff.mason (8/2/2012)
If someone wants to add a column to the middle of a table, they should get better SQL training.

This is exactly what Microsoft is up against. They have to provide for all things from all comers. Someone of your skill level is not their target audience when it comes to the Table Designer

So what's their excuse for their own CRM product?

oof their excuse?

you've identified that your developers use the wrong tool for the job, need better training on how to do it better, but blame microsoft for the ramifications of using a "catch all possibilities" application for making your replication suffer?

I realize it's a rant, but i'd still think this is more of a training issue; there's usually multiple ways to do the same job in SQL Server, it's up to us to pick the most appropriate for the job onhand.

Lowell

--There is no spoon, and there's no default ORDER BY in sql server either.
Actually, Common Sense is so rare, it should be considered a Superpower. --my son
Post #1339276
Posted Thursday, August 2, 2012 10:23 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Thursday, July 24, 2014 1:13 PM
So why bother making replication able to replicate schema then? There is only one schema change that replication cannot handle -- dropping tables that are part of a publication. Why would Microsoft program CRM to drop tables to add a column? Why would you ever want to do that? Ignore exceptions (that in my opinion are bad form anyway) -- what possible reason is there for a professional product to drop a table whenever you want to add a column? That's the core of my rant.
Post #1339352
Posted Thursday, August 2, 2012 10:25 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Thursday, July 24, 2014 1:13 PM
And Lowell, I am blaming Microsoft for creating an application that uses SQL Server as its data repository that doesn't use their own best practices in maintaining its own database. Which given how SharePoint breaks all sorts of best practices is not an anomaly there.
Post #1339354
Posted Thursday, August 2, 2012 10:43 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 8:57 AM
jeff.mason (8/2/2012)
So why bother making replication able to replicate schema then? There is only one schema change that replication cannot handle -- dropping tables that are part of a publication. Why would Microsoft program CRM to drop tables to add a column? Why would you ever want to do that? Ignore exceptions (that in my opinion are bad form anyway) -- what possible reason is there for a professional product to drop a table whenever you want to add a column? That's the core of my rant.

I think the CRM problem is an extension of the problem you have with SSMS. MS was all but cornered into making the Table Designer be the way it is with respect to schema changes for the reasons mentioned earlier, and CRM seems to follow that same least common denominator approach. Do I like it? No. I get the starting point of your rant but for me, knowing why something I do not like is the way it is sometimes makes it easier to accept At least it is documented.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato
Post #1339367
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2012 11:47 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Friday, April 18, 2014 12:58 PM
In my experience, SSMS does not script a drop and recreate of a table unless you insert the new column somewhere other than at the end. To append a new column doesn't recreate the table. I know this because I always have the save change script option active so I know what is going to happen before I commit the changes.
Post #1387088
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse