Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Contained Databases Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 9:02 AM
Lokesh Vij (7/26/2012)
anthony.green (7/26/2012)
Damn, got 3 out of the 4, I thought mirroring wouldn't of been true as it is now a depreciated feature so, wouldn't of thought the two would co-exist.

I also thought the same
But in the end changed my mind, thinking that what would be the use of contained DB, if it cannot be mirrored? Features like running environment reports from contained DBs and other stuff like delegating access control will be of no use without mirroring.

Really? I got it wrong because I thought the exact opposite. As I understand contained DBs, they should be portable and independent of the main server, and be as much a single unit as they can. Therefore I would have thought that mirroring them would be sort of useless. So this is a question for learning the new stuff -- when would you want to have a contained database that is mirrored? I know a bit about how contained databases technically work, but I am not so much familiar with the business case for when and why to use them.
Post #1335829
Posted Thursday, July 26, 2012 7:30 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:57 AM
Nice question, thanks
Post #1335833
Posted Thursday, July 26, 2012 7:40 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Today @ 10:26 AM
Great question, thanks!

I was sure I had them all correct, I must've clicked on one of the wrong ones by mistake.
Post #1335847
Posted Thursday, July 26, 2012 8:39 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:50 PM
L' Eomot Inversé (7/25/2012)
Nice straightforward question, thanks.

I could remember 3 of the four answers, but on the mirroring one I was racking my brains to no avail, and finally gave up and consulted BoL. The information seemed quite hard to find (for example, if I'd taken the first apparently relevant page I found in BoL, ALTER DATABASE Database Mirroring, at face value I would have got it horribly wrong. I ended up reading quite a bit. SO for me the question was a good learning experience.

+1

Made the same mistake .. oh well learned something new

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read

Before posting a performance problem please read
Post #1335890
Posted Thursday, July 26, 2012 9:34 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, January 31, 2013 8:53 AM
very interesting question. definitely a learning experience here for me today - cheers
Post #1335939
Posted Thursday, July 26, 2012 9:52 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Tuesday, September 2, 2014 2:28 PM
Good question. I got the mirroring one wrong. Somewhere I thought I'd learned that SQL2012 didn't support mirroring for contained databases. Good learning experience, thanks.
Post #1335948
Posted Thursday, July 26, 2012 10:27 AM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Last Login: Today @ 2:08 PM
Dan Graveen (7/26/2012)
I was also stumped on the mirroring option. Did a quick lookup on msdn and found the alter database mirroring options are not available for contained databases. I guess I learned something new, but I'll have to read up on this some more. "How is it available, but it cannot be altered?" is the first question I need to answer for myself.. :P

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb522476.aspx

I think you'll find that because handling mirroring through alter database for database mirroring was deprecated (in favor of using "always on high availability groups") in SQL 2012 they decide not to include a deprecated at first site way of doing it for contained databases (which were new in SQL2012) but tell people to use the replacement method from day 1. Seems quite sensible to me.

Tom
Post #1335971
Posted Thursday, July 26, 2012 12:02 PM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Tuesday, September 2, 2014 8:36 AM
I agree, great question and the selection of answers made it easy to go astray.
Post #1336038
Posted Thursday, July 26, 2012 12:27 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:32 PM
Thanks Wayne - I had to check BOL to be certain.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1336051
Posted Thursday, July 26, 2012 12:42 PM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Monday, September 15, 2014 11:54 AM
Took me 13 minutes to answer this one, but it was fun. Thanks!
Post #1336060
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse