Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««45678

How can I attract Senior Database Administrator candidates? Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:07 AM
The new posting is a lot cleaner.

From a purely personal perspective, when I see requirements like this:

• Experience working with Windows server, including Active Directory and proper disk configurations.
• Experience using MS SCOM for SQL monitoring and alerting.

These IMHO, are not a DBA's direct responsibility. If the posting said something like "Understanding Windows Server, AD, and disk ... and can provide expertise blah, blah, blah, then I would have been less turned off.
To me, the DBA should be able to articulate requirements to the persons in charge of these areas, and work with them to make sure that these things are configured properly.

With that being said, I have a somewhat negative view of things based upon past experiences. I have had been a part of some very immature IT departments in the recent past. There wasn't a lot of understanding within the departments of mission critical things.

For example, the SAN administrators experience consisted of taking a 2 day class! That's it. It's the only understanding of disks/sans that he had!

I spent more time teaching him about SANs as opposed to doing DBA work.

Additionally, when I look back at interviews and the companies I have interviewed with, the better positions seemed to have very short and to the point postings. The posting for my new position was three paragraphs. The first was two sentences about the company, the second was 6 sentences about the position, and the last was three sentences on how to apply. The "details" were purposely kept to a minimum because they wanted to weed out the candidates who could study up on a listed subject, without any real knowledge, and still sound good in an interview.

Good luck!

Michael L John
To properly post on a forum:
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/
Post #1342204
Posted Wednesday, August 8, 2012 2:56 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:48 PM
I haven't fully checked your web site, but one of the things I really liked about the company I now work for is that I was able to learn a lot about their benefits from their web site before I even applied.

Things like Health/Dental/Vision paid 100% by the employer for employee and dependents; 401K, fully vested in employer matching funds from day one with 100% match up to first 3% of salary.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #1342245
Posted Thursday, August 9, 2012 2:33 PM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Monday, May 19, 2014 9:26 AM
I've interviewed lots of people for a senior DBA position we had open sometime ago (the company later took it away). As someone said some cities have a lot of good dbas and some don't. Ours is the latter. That is one thing. Second thing is that our task is a production DBA and invovles considerable late hours and off hour work. Our company is very good in compensating people for that and you do get time off for the extra time you put in but working late itself is not optional. A huge number of candidates seemed very turned off by that. Those who were not were visa holders and such and we are restricted by HR in hiring those. Finally we went with hiring a developer as a junior and trained him to be a senior. He measured up in two years and is doing much better than a new candidate would .
Post #1343032
Posted Thursday, August 9, 2012 8:35 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 12:08 AM
dma-669038 (8/9/2012)
Those who were not were visa holders and such and we are restricted by HR in hiring those. Finally we went with hiring a developer as a junior and trained him to be a senior. He measured up in two years and is doing much better than a new candidate would .

I love success stories like that especially since it sounds like you also know how to keep him. Very well done.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1343109
Posted Thursday, August 9, 2012 9:31 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 12:08 AM
bsclyde (8/8/2012)
Jeff Moden (8/7/2012)
I'm curious. How many "bites" have you had on either of those ads?

Well, from this forum post alone I've had two great candidates approach me about the job. If you're talking about the different versions of the job posting, the old-and-busted and the new-hotness, then I'm not sure. I've asked our internal recruiter, who handles all the applications and initial contacts, to get that data to me. If/when I have it I'll be happy to share.

I can certainly understand getting the hits from this forum because they have the "inside" info like not having to be an "uber DBA". I'm really curious about the hits (or, possibly, lack of) against the ads because they still make it sound to me like you want a Ninja in 6 diffrent arts. Nope... not being critical. I'm trying to help you get more "hits".

Anyway, congrats on the two candidates. They do seem really hard to come by these days (I recently interviewed 12 people that claimed to be DBAs just to finally find one that actually was).

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1343117
Posted Monday, August 20, 2012 8:31 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, October 13, 2014 12:02 PM
I am glad that you have had some good luck in finding dba's to help support you.
Have you considered someone completely remote and off hours?

I am a Senior SQL Server DBA that is looking for off hours work on a regular basis.
I have an excellent resume and large skillset that you could take advantage of. I am looking to suppliment my income for about two years. Going to suprise my wife with a trip to Hawaii for our 25th wedding anniversary and would like to prepay for it before we go. I am very stable and consistent and if you would like to review my resume, please email me and lets see if we can work something out.

Thomas Lilley
troffofdrinal@yahoo.com
Post #1347539
Posted Sunday, December 30, 2012 7:24 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:31 PM
Jeff Moden (7/26/2012)
... SQL Server and all those things are just too big for one person to be good at all of that.

If you want an expert in SSAS, SSRS, and SSIS, then you should advertise for a "BI" expert.
If you want an expert in databases (including effective design and implementation), then you need to advertise for a "Hybrid" or "Application DBA" with an emphasis on T-SQL and tuning with some reasonably good systems knowledge.
If you want an expert in security and other system level stuff, then you need to advertise for a "Systems DBA".
If you want someone with ".NET" experience, advertise for a front-end developer.

Thank you Jeff, In general with my genuine concern on "how to have a good hands on all and all with sql stuff?" really ends here.

I wish your said becomes one of the "commands" in the recruiting industry/people where employer REALLY understands on what they are looking (*specifically) for and what to expect from the candidate in the long run once he is hired.

Thank you.

*It is hard to design the exact path of the career growth in the SQL and later the job description can deceive you from the reason of hiring and to the actual work rendered.

ww; Raghu
--
The first and the hardest SQL statement I have wrote- "select * from customers" - and I was happy and felt smart.
Post #1401249
Posted Sunday, May 12, 2013 4:52 PM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 3:43 AM
A BETTER DBA JOB DESCRIPTION FOR EVERYONE
"The same thing is happening with the standard hiring practice. That’s why we need better job descriptions. If you want a SQL Server Expert to be interested in your open position then you need to change how you are advertising for them."
http://thomaslarock.com/2010/09/a-better-dba-job-description-for-everyone/

Post #1451952
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««45678

Permissions Expand / Collapse