Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Is there a way to separate the .mdf and .ldf files so that each file has its own folder? Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, July 20, 2012 3:01 PM
Hi,

A DoD STIG audit was run on our databases. The audit stated that our .mdf and .ldf files should be separated from each other. For example, each .mdf file should have its own folder. Likewise, each .ldf file. Everything must be separated. So I shut down the SQL Server, moved every .mdf file to its own folder, and moved each .ldf to its own folder. Then I attempted to restart the SQL Server -- it did not work! So I started playing around with the DefaultData and DefaultLog Server parameters. I noticed that SQL Server does not have a separate setting for each database (all the .mdf files have to be located in the DefaultData directory and all the .ldf files have to be located in the DefaultLog directory). So my question is, is there a way to separate the .mdf and .ldf files so that each file has its own folder?
Post #1333156
Posted Friday, July 20, 2012 12:42 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 8:56 PM
This thread should help. http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1013558-146-1.aspx#bm1013569

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Moden's splitter.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns
Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1)
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2)
Post #1333171
Posted Friday, July 20, 2012 3:09 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, July 20, 2012 3:01 PM
Thanks!
Post #1333250
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse