Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Views and changes Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 5:44 AM
Bob Razumich (7/2/2012)
For a moment, I thought the correct answer was a trick answer. "sp_refreshview"? It just seemed too cute for a Monday, but I looked it up first, anyway. Plus, I'd be strung up if I created a view as Select * from anything. Glad I researched it.

But I have to say that the command would seem to enable poor coding practice in creating a view, IMHO.

It's like Bob was reading my mind! (Except for the fact that he wrote this BEFORE I saw the question. How DO you do that Bob?)

So, +1, and thanks for a great question for a Monday Steve.

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
Connect to me on LinkedIn
Post #1323758
Posted Monday, July 2, 2012 7:12 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:42 AM
Great easy question this morning Steve. Thanks for that pick me up on Monday.

Everything is awesome!
Post #1323777
Posted Monday, July 2, 2012 8:49 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 4:06 PM
Thanks for the easy one Steve! I think I have used this command maybe once before.
Post #1323823
Posted Monday, July 2, 2012 9:36 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Today @ 5:21 PM
EZ PZ

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Post #1323855
Posted Monday, July 2, 2012 10:07 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Tuesday, September 30, 2014 7:42 AM
steve.casey (7/2/2012)
Some of us have to work with versions older than SS 2005, you know! DROP...CREATE is the only one that will work with ALL versions.

That's what I thought too... of course I don't write many views.... tables yes... stored procs yes...... views.... rarely.

That said, I had to find out what the heck sp_refreshview was if it existed... and it changed my answer. :)

Yay +1

--Mark Tassin
MCITP - SQL Server DBA
Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
For help with Performance click this link
For tips on how to post your problems
Post #1323885
Posted Monday, July 2, 2012 11:34 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:07 PM
Bob Razumich (7/2/2012)
For a moment, I thought the correct answer was a trick answer. "sp_refreshview"? It just seemed too cute for a Monday, but I looked it up first, anyway...

+1

I figured the first answer was wrong because DROP...CREATE VIEW is not the only way to fix that problem, even without the existence of sp_refreshview. You can also use an ALTER VIEW statement. Since the third answer was patently untrue as well, whatever remained, however improbable, had to be true.

That's how I deduced that there was, indeed, a stored procedure called sp_refreshview.
Post #1323945
Posted Monday, July 2, 2012 11:54 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Tuesday, September 30, 2014 6:06 AM
sknox (7/2/2012)
Bob Razumich (7/2/2012)
For a moment, I thought the correct answer was a trick answer. "sp_refreshview"? It just seemed too cute for a Monday, but I looked it up first, anyway...

+1

I figured the first answer was wrong because DROP...CREATE VIEW is not the only way to fix that problem, even without the existence of sp_refreshview. You can also use an ALTER VIEW statement. Since the third answer was patently untrue as well, whatever remained, however improbable, had to be true.

That's how I deduced that there was, indeed, a stored procedure called sp_refreshview.

Awesome deduction! Much more entertaining than the method I used.
Post #1323963
Posted Monday, July 2, 2012 4:39 PM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:43 PM
A nice one to start the week. Thanks, Steve!
Post #1324069
Posted Monday, July 2, 2012 9:53 PM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 7:13 PM
Thanks Steve for the easy one !!!!
Post #1324118
Posted Tuesday, July 3, 2012 1:12 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 12:43 PM
It's a bit disappointing that nobody has yet commented that the "best" way to deal with the issue is to drop the view, then create a new one that does not use SELECT * but spells out the relevant columns.

Nice question, Steve. Thanks!

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
Post #1324155
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse