Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Restart Log Backups Expand / Collapse
Author
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:16 AM
I'm a bit annoyed with myself...I've read the linked article before, but I went ahead and clicked the "Full backup" option simply because that's what I would do in that situation, regardless of what's possible! Should have read the possible answers more carefully before clicking.
Post #1322393
Posted Thursday, June 28, 2012 6:43 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Thursday, August 21, 2014 2:58 PM
Ouch!!! Got me!!! - Excellent question, learned something new.
Post #1322410
Posted Thursday, June 28, 2012 6:55 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:56 AM
I jumped the gun on this one and it seems I'm not alone in my actions. I just saw the first answer and was like "of course that's what you would do!" and then (X) incorrect. Excellent question Steve. I should have read all the available answers, but that first one just looked to tempting.

Everything is awesome!
Post #1322421
Posted Thursday, June 28, 2012 7:23 AM

Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Last Login: Thursday, July 17, 2014 2:01 PM
Got it wrong for the best possible reason: I learned something.

Like many others, I thought a FULL backup was required to re-initiate the log chain, probably because that's what most recommendations say, following a switch of Full-to-Simple-to-Full recovery modes.

Here's an example from a SQL MVP (http://www.petri.co.il/sql-server-recovery-models.htm):
...if you’re in full mode and you want to truncate the log by switching to simple mode you’re free to do that. However, if you want to switch back to full mode and start taking log backups again, you’ll have to take a full backup before you can do that.

Great question, Steve!

Rich
Post #1322447
Posted Thursday, June 28, 2012 7:26 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 5:52 PM
Good question, got this wrong though. Nice to have a myth busted.

Mohammed Moinudheen
Post #1322449
Posted Thursday, June 28, 2012 7:40 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 9:20 AM
I was tempted with the first answer as it seemed correct. But a little bit of logic indicated me that there's no reason for the database backups to be incomplete so that it would be necessary to do a full backup. For the contrary, the log wouldn't be reliable after changing the recovery model from full to simple and back to full.

Nice question, I'm glad to have read all the answers before making a choice.

Luis C.
Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1322461
Posted Thursday, June 28, 2012 9:23 AM
SSCommitted

Last Login: Monday, August 4, 2014 8:10 AM
I actually just dealt with this in a slightly different way. We're doing a purge on a large DB and the app owner wanted a quick way to roll back and re-establish the log chain if anything went wrong. The decision was to take a snapshot, restore from that if there was an issue, and then do a diff. I actually wrote an article about it but haven't submitted it yet because it's still being reviewed by someone else before I send it in.
Post #1322553
Posted Thursday, June 28, 2012 9:34 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, January 31, 2013 8:53 AM
Thanks Steve.
Post #1322564
Posted Thursday, June 28, 2012 9:46 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:51 PM
Good question Steve.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1322575
Posted Thursday, June 28, 2012 9:50 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 9:44 AM
Definitely a gotcha!
Post #1322578
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse