Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

The Redmond Agenda Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 11:24 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item The Redmond Agenda

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1317038
Posted Monday, June 18, 2012 12:11 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, March 25, 2014 10:18 AM
It talks about five things Redmond doesn't want you to know, and the first item is that the cloud is first. New releases of products will likely come in the cloud first, and in a version you can buy second. The article mentions Sharepoint, but many other Microsoft products live in the cloud, including SQL Server.
Is that a bad thing?

Depends on what new features / functionality that is included I would say. If it's something you really want then it can be annoying.
I however fear that support for non cloud based solutions will become worse because of the cloud focus. Hopefully this fear is not warranted.
Post #1317143
Posted Wednesday, June 20, 2012 9:22 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 7:13 AM
This could actually make RTM releases more solid. With the cloud users working out a number of the bugs we may see less patching necessary on boxes we host.
Post #1318813
Posted Thursday, June 21, 2012 3:34 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 1:16 PM
cfradenburg (6/20/2012)
This could actually make RTM releases more solid. With the cloud users working out a number of the bugs we may see less patching necessary on boxes we host.

That would be a great thing if it happened that way.

There are some things that work well in the cloud and I still hold my reservations about moving to the cloud.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1319688
Posted Friday, June 22, 2012 8:58 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Friday, October 04, 2013 12:06 PM
I still have seen nothing to convince me that regulatory requirements like HIPAA, SOX, FDA validation, et al can be safely supported in an external cloud. Internal, maybe, but how can a DBA guarantee data protection at that level when someone else owns and maintains the servers?
Post #1320013
Posted Friday, June 22, 2012 9:14 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 6:31 PM
jeff.mason (6/22/2012)
I still have seen nothing to convince me that regulatory requirements like HIPAA, SOX, FDA validation, et al can be safely supported in an external cloud. Internal, maybe, but how can a DBA guarantee data protection at that level when someone else owns and maintains the servers?

The third party vendor has to support those same regulatory requirements. If they aren't cretified under the necessary authorities, you don't use them.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #1320028
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse