Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Interns Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 11:32 PM
Carla Wilson-484785 (6/8/2012)
I would guess that the unpaid intern scenario got a foothold a few years ago, when college grads just could not get a job when they graduated, and their choice was bus tables at minimum wage or work for free in their field and at least gain some experience and networking. Taking advantage of a person like that is pretty sleazy in my book.

Yes and no. As with all else, I have to say "It Depends". Consider how much time, money, and effort a company will spend bringing someone up to speed so that they actually can be useful. That person gains some very valuable experience which the person right out of school and then.... they leave to go somewhere else because the now have "experience". That's an aweful lot of lost learning for the company that took the intern in.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1313490
Posted Monday, June 11, 2012 12:48 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 8:03 AM
Carla Wilson-484785 (6/8/2012)
I would guess that the unpaid intern scenario got a foothold a few years ago, when college grads just could not get a job when they graduated, and their choice was bus tables at minimum wage or work for free in their field and at least gain some experience and networking. Taking advantage of a person like that is pretty sleazy in my book.

There's too much of that in the UK (some of the worse offenders are allegedly in the top tiers of our government), but the interns are getting organised and starting to fight back, taking employers to court for minimum wage if the intern was working rather than being trained.
Post #1313684
Posted Monday, June 25, 2012 2:31 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Today @ 1:09 AM
My son is an unpaid intern in Sweden as his sandwich year of university (BSc multimedia and animation). Thank goodness for ERASMUS (European students abroad scheme) and UK student loans as I couldn't afford to fund it!
Post #1320480
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse