Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

SQL Server 2012 Certifications Revamped Expand / Collapse
Author

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 2:03 PM
Marco,

The reason they keep changing them all the time is because the main purpose of certifications is to continue to make money for the certifying body IMHO.

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ..."
Post #1303549
Posted Monday, May 21, 2012 12:36 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Thursday, November 20, 2014 12:23 PM
I've got some mixed feelings on this one.

The ever changing acronyms do confuse employers. I've met a few that think MCTS is higher level than MCITP. However they all know what MCSE is. So maybe that makes for an easier transition.

I like that the certs are becoming harder to attain. A basic SQL Server certification should IMHO cover administration, development, and basic BI. I like how the new certs take this into account. I do agree though that data warehousing is more a subset of BI and would better be served in a higher tier.

I do think however that at the MCSE level thats the place where one should be able carve out their niche (admin, dev, bi). In the lower tier the basics of all three are already covered.

That all being said, I do think this is a giant step forward.
Post #1303600
Posted Monday, May 21, 2012 2:41 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Tuesday, June 5, 2012 7:02 AM
See, I've been prepping to take 70-448. I'm a BI Professional. I can write the heck out of queries and sp's and functions, etc. but I'm not a DBA or a Programmer and I'm never going to be one. But learning SSIS, SSAS, and SSRS in more depth than I've ever had to for my job has been a great experience.

But now, according to what this article says, it sounds like I'd have to pass all three of the so-called "basic" SQL tests before I could even take the BI one. If I were trying to get certified as a know-all-SQL-DBA expert then that makes sense. I had a plan to take 70-448, then tackle learning more of the Implementation and Maintenance with the goal of becoming an MCSA. Now it all seems so far out of reach, with three exams I'd have to pass that have nothing to do with my job, before I could even take the BI test? It just doesn't make sense to me.
Post #1303733
Posted Monday, May 21, 2012 3:39 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, August 1, 2013 9:14 AM
I don' t like this change neither. I think that stability is an important factor, and MS is not thinking that same... People need to set a goal to reach, but that goal is continuously moving.
Post #1303772
Posted Monday, May 21, 2012 5:53 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, May 21, 2012 5:51 PM
any update on MCDBA SQL 2005 and/or SQL 2008 Upgrade exam or policy to SQL 2012?

Post #1303792
Posted Monday, May 21, 2012 11:25 PM

UDP Broadcaster

UDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP Broadcaster

Last Login: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 4:14 AM
I think I'll probably end up taking the exams. Simply because I will spend some time learning about 2012 and the various aspects of it. I could probably do with doing some more work on cloud based solutions too. So in that respect I guess the certifications are good in directing my attention to what might become more relevant in years to come in this profession. Plus it's always nice to have something to show for all the studying you've done!

Having said that, I would be very concerned if someone looked at my CV and gave me a job solely based on the number of certifications I had. Passing an exam is a skill in itself, but doesn't necessarily translate into someone being able to do a job. I've known plenty of people who have had MCDBA or MCTS qualifications, and I wouldn't let them anywhere near my database solutions!! Experience and personality I find are more important traits in a person in deciding whether they are capable of managing SQL Server.

And I'll echo what others have said with regard to separating out the technologies. It will be fine for me as I have a hand in both DBA and BI, but that's not the case for everyone. Though I think there are great benefits in having a decent understanding about the different technoloiges SQL Server has to offer, it should not be mandated that you should have a more detailed understanding of all of them in order to get certified.
Post #1303861
Posted Tuesday, May 22, 2012 2:17 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, November 19, 2014 10:08 AM
// removed as double posted
Post #1303951
Posted Tuesday, May 22, 2012 2:18 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, November 19, 2014 10:08 AM
Marco Barroso (5/21/2012)
(2) Implementing Data Warehouses should not be on basic SQL Server cert. It should be on its own track under BI .. anyone with logical sense would agree with that.

In the same way that a person who does datawarehouses I should know how to write great queries, consider the impact of indexes and be able to perform basic DBA tasks, I would beg to differ with you on the point of DBAs not needing to know at least the basics of data warehouse and BI implementations.

The reasons are many but not least:
1) Most DBAs will perform some BI tasks and doing any task well is what you should be aiming for
2) If there is a seperate BI team then understanding their requirements and typical tasks means that you can work with them better (or if you think they're like developers you might want to say manage them, herd them, lock them down etc)
3) Gives you an avenue for growth should you want it - being a DBA is a great job I'm sure you'll all agree but how many BI people are on call 247?
Post #1303953
Posted Tuesday, May 22, 2012 6:54 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Tuesday, June 5, 2012 7:02 AM
But the problem is that it doesn't sound like it's the basics of data warehousing. Knowing these cert tests, it will require a comprehensive knowledge that goes beyond the basics and goes beyond what most good SQL DBA's/Developers need to know.
Post #1304116
Posted Tuesday, May 22, 2012 7:01 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, August 6, 2014 8:06 AM
TravisDBA (5/21/2012)
Marco,

The reason they keep changing them all the time is because the main purpose of certifications is to continue to make money for the certifying body IMHO.

I completely agree. I have written some exams for 2008 R2 and I am an MCP. My personal feelings about these exams is that:
1) I did learn some things (but not many) from the material that I will use in the future.
2) I did learn some things from the material which helps me understand how Microsoft programs their software (not quite like a boss).
3) The mark on the exam is inconsequential to actual programming and problem solving ability.
4) If they don't keep giving us a reason to keep taking more exams, they won't have anyone taking them.

So, why did I wrote these exams? Microsoft Partnership Program. I wrote them so that my company could get a break on Microsoft software licenses. If getting a 2012 MCSA or MCSE of either kind will help my company, I will write them. And I will also be a marginally better programmer because of it. However, experience cannot be replaced with exams. I would take a quick learner who can problem solve and has experience over anyone with a list of exams beside their name and no experience.

It's all about the bottom line. And the bottom line is: those exams are almost worthless unless you are using them toward the Partner program to get free licenses from Microsoft.

Post #1304122
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse