Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

SYSLanguages on SQL 2012 Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:31 AM
Thanks for the question. I'd like to see more questions on sys tables/views. Please.

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
Connect to me on LinkedIn
Post #1299644
Posted Monday, May 14, 2012 10:01 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, January 31, 2013 8:53 AM
nice one to start the week - cheers
Post #1299688
Posted Monday, May 14, 2012 11:09 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 5:00 PM
I'd have thought more people would have gotten this one right. Only 60% at this time, sorry but that's low for this question imho.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #1299738
Posted Monday, May 14, 2012 11:15 AM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Last Login: Today @ 4:53 PM
Lynn Pettis (5/14/2012)
I'd have thought more people would have gotten this one right. Only 60% at this time, sorry but that's low for this question imho.

I agree. It seems unlikely that 40% of people are unaware that this has changed since SQL Server 2000, and there's no other sensible reason for anyone to get it wrong.

Tom
Post #1299742
Posted Monday, May 14, 2012 10:55 PM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Today @ 10:15 AM
Lynn Pettis (5/14/2012)

Quite surprised myself....well hopefully someone learned something from this easy yet (looks like?) challenging question.

----------------------------------------------
Msg 8134, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
Divide by zero error encountered.
Post #1300038
Posted Monday, May 14, 2012 11:22 PM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 6:43 AM
errr.. the explaination says you cant update system tables on sql 2005 onwards. is this description really true?

I'm not saying its a good practice and Microsoft definitely doesnt support the case if you've modified system tables, but ..

http://sqlserver-qa.net/blogs/tools/archive/2007/04/24/sql-server-2005-ad-hoc-updates-to-system-catalogs-are-not-allowed.aspx

Simon

Simon Liew
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
Post #1300041
Posted Monday, May 14, 2012 11:37 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 5:00 PM
Simon-413722 (5/14/2012)
errr.. the explaination says you cant update system tables on sql 2005 onwards. is this description really true?

I'm not saying its a good practice and Microsoft definitely doesnt support the case if you've modified system tables, but ..

http://sqlserver-qa.net/blogs/tools/archive/2007/04/24/sql-server-2005-ad-hoc-updates-to-system-catalogs-are-not-allowed.aspx

Simon

Considering the hoops you to go through, I would say that it is basically not supported, especially the way you used to be able to update the system tables. It would definately take some effort to accomplish.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #1300043
Posted Tuesday, May 15, 2012 2:13 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 11:59 AM
L' Eomot Inversé (5/14/2012)
It seems unlikely that 40% of people are unaware that this has changed since SQL Server 2000, and there's no other sensible reason for anyone to get it wrong.

Other (maybe even more likely) reasons include never having worked with SQL Server 2000 or older (not everyone on this site has a 5+-year experience in SQL Server), or never having considered changing system tables until this question was published.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
Post #1300080
Posted Tuesday, May 15, 2012 6:08 AM
SSCommitted

Last Login: Friday, July 18, 2014 8:42 AM
I knew the answer, but if I hadn't then a reasonable guess would have been that it would work - on the basis that it makes sense to have a command that could never work. I'm still not sure why MS decided not to remove the option completely.
Post #1300156
Posted Tuesday, May 15, 2012 9:10 AM

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Friday, June 27, 2014 7:41 AM
Good question thanks. I must admit though my answer was more luck than judgement but hey, I've learn't something too!

"Be brave. Take risks. Nothing can substitute experience."
Post #1300340
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse