Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Stairway to SQL Dialects Level 3: MySQL Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:40 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Stairway to SQL Dialects Level 3: MySQL

Books in Celko Series for Morgan-Kaufmann Publishing
Analytics and OLAP in SQL
Data and Databases: Concepts in Practice
Data, Measurements and Standards in SQL
SQL for Smarties
SQL Programming Style
SQL Puzzles and Answers
Thinking in Sets
Trees and Hierarchies in SQL
Post #1297932
Posted Saturday, June 16, 2012 1:05 PM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Thursday, July 31, 2014 2:41 PM
You missed one of the biggest joyful "features" of MySQL: check constraints are parsed but ignored.

"The CHECK clause is parsed but ignored by all storage engines. See Section 1.8.5.4, “Foreign Key Differences”.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/create-table.html
Post #1317000
Posted Wednesday, December 5, 2012 1:28 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Thursday, August 21, 2014 4:21 AM
Thanks for this useful article from one of those who earn with SQL Server but dabble with MySQL as part of running hobby websites.
Post #1392828
Posted Thursday, December 6, 2012 2:49 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Wednesday, July 9, 2014 2:52 AM
XOR isn't equivalent to NOT (NOT a AND NOT b).

If a=TRUE and b=TRUE, then XOR(a,b) =FALSE but the expression above =TRUE

If the expressions are BIT data, then NOT (a=b) works as an XOR equivalent.
Post #1393387
Posted Thursday, December 6, 2012 8:43 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Friday, April 19, 2013 8:44 AM
Joe, as usual, your content is brilliant, but please indulge me in a minor quibble that I found really annoying right out of the gate with this article and that was regarding the pronunciation of MySQL. I seem to recall even my database textbook in college (25 years ago) mentioning that the S-Q-L or 'sequel' pronunciations are mere conventions. My point : who cares how it's pronounced? Do we need an IEEE rule for this too?

Please enlighten me if you really think this is even worth our time discussing and why.

Sincerely,
A big fan.
Post #1393568
Posted Thursday, December 6, 2012 9:09 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

who cares how it's pronounced? Do we need an IEEE rule for this too? Please enlighten me if you really think this is even worth our time discussing and why.

Because when I worked for them doing a series of webcasts on basic RDBMS, etc their people were constantly catching me for using "My Sequel" and not "MY S-Q-L" in my recordings. Do a dozen re-takes and you remember.

When I was on ANSI X3H2, we spent a few days on this topic. The ruels aer:
1) If it is an ISO Standard, you spell it out. Hence "S-Q-L" is the right way. However, the french will insist that the letters are in the french order. Hence "UTC" and not "Universal Coordinated Time"
2) if it is a US Federal Standard, you prounounce it. This is why a "Physicians Standards Review Organization" is a "piss row"; honest!

SQL for Smarties
SQL Programming Style
SQL Puzzles and Answers
Thinking in Sets
Post #1393594
Posted Thursday, December 6, 2012 9:53 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Friday, April 19, 2013 8:44 AM
Fair enough. As always, it was educational. Thanks!
Post #1393625
Posted Thursday, December 6, 2012 9:54 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Wednesday, July 9, 2014 2:52 AM
1) If it is an ISO Standard, you spell it out. Hence "S-Q-L" is the right way. However, the french will insist that the letters are in the french order. Hence "UTC" and not "Universal Coordinated Time"

It's worse than that: the correct French order would be "TUC". "UTC" is a committee-driven compromise which is neither good English nor good French. I'm not sure that it is officially an abbreviation of anything at all.
Post #1393626
Posted Wednesday, May 14, 2014 7:43 AM

Ten Centuries

Last Login: Friday, July 4, 2014 9:03 AM
CELKO (12/6/2012)
who cares how it's pronounced? Do we need an IEEE rule for this too? Please enlighten me if you really think this is even worth our time discussing and why.

Because when I worked for them doing a series of webcasts on basic RDBMS, etc their people were constantly catching me for using "My Sequel" and not "MY S-Q-L" in my recordings. Do a dozen re-takes and you remember.

2) if it is a US Federal Standard, you prounounce it. This is why a "Physicians Standards Review Organization" is a "piss row"; honest!

So Joe, if you've been doing some coding do YOU say sequel or S-Q-L?
Post #1570832
Posted Wednesday, May 14, 2014 9:15 AM

SSCommitted

If it is a Microsoft product, I say "Sequel" ; if it is MySQL I say S-Q-L. And yes I get caught on it in other contexts. When I was much younger I thought that EBCDIC was a social disease

SQL for Smarties
SQL Programming Style
SQL Puzzles and Answers
Thinking in Sets
Post #1570897
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase