Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««123

Please help with my data data model design. Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, December 9, 2014 7:37 AM

I think thats fine if you are only storing the role and thats as far as you go with it, so I'm ok with this. If you are going to store additional info regarding the persons role as a student then the student table makes sense.

Yup, I agree (my original post asks whether they are planning on tracking extra student-specific data).

If you need to track data that is applicable across all roles (e.g. a RoleStarted/RoleEnded date) then those columns could be added to the many-to-many link table without adding a specific table for each role.

However, if in your business model you are tracking attributes specific to students, professors, employees, etc., then a table to organize these attributes makes sense.
Post #1294893
Posted Friday, May 4, 2012 2:18 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Friday, August 8, 2014 3:25 AM
Steve Thompson-454462 (5/3/2012)

I think thats fine if you are only storing the role and thats as far as you go with it, so I'm ok with this. If you are going to store additional info regarding the persons role as a student then the student table makes sense.

Yup, I agree (my original post asks whether they are planning on tracking extra student-specific data).

If you need to track data that is applicable across all roles (e.g. a RoleStarted/RoleEnded date) then those columns could be added to the many-to-many link table without adding a specific table for each role.

However, if in your business model you are tracking attributes specific to students, professors, employees, etc., then a table to organize these attributes makes sense.

i would say that you need to think about what will happen in thte future - while this system only really lists the names and addresses of students and employees, it's not unreasonable to say the following

students take classes , employees do not
employees have timesheets, students do not
employees get appraisals
students get grades

if any of the above ever make it into your functionality then a "role" table is (IMHO) not the best way to go - (plus with a role table you might have real issues if you are a student and an employee - as happens at some universities)

without a full understanding of the context of the model and the roadmap it's hard to say what is the correct design

MVDBA
Post #1295089
Posted Saturday, May 5, 2012 2:47 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 6:53 PM
i would say that you need to think about what will happen in thte future - while this system only really lists the names and addresses of students and employees, it's not unreasonable to say the following

students take classes , employees do not
employees have timesheets, students do not
employees get appraisals
students get grades

+1

if any of the above ever make it into your functionality then a "role" table is (IMHO) not the best way to go - (plus with a role table you might have real issues if you are a student and an employee - as happens at some universities)

He has already mention Many-to-Many relationship (thus association table) between Person & Role. However it will make the scenario overcomplicated with above questions.

Dev

Devendra Shirbad | BIG Data Architect / DBA | Ex-Microsoft CSS (SQL 3T)
*** Open Network for Database Professionals ***

LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/devendrashirbad
Post #1295548
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««123

Permissions Expand / Collapse