Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 1234»»»

Booked 70-450 Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 2:37 AM
I thought it was time to push myself again so I have booked 70-450 for 29th May, which should hopefully give me enough time to go through the Transcenders.

I know there are no official MS Press books for 70-450, but other than Transcenders and MeasureUp/SelfTestSoftware, what other none rule breaking resources are good to swat up on. If anyone can recommend a book much like the MC:TS book for 70-432 that would be amazing as that helped me on the bits I struggled on when I failed 70-432 for the first time.

Also is the pass mark 700 still like it is for 70-432 so I can configure the pass mark on Transcender?

Want an answer fast? Try here
How to post data/code for the best help - Jeff Moden
Need a string splitter, try this - Jeff Moden
How to post performance problems - Gail Shaw
CrossTabs-Part1 & Part2 - Jeff Moden
SQL Server Backup, Integrity Check, and Index and Statistics Maintenance - Ola Hallengren
Managing Transaction Logs - Gail Shaw
Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for the Accidental DBA - Jonathan Kehayias and Ted Krueger

Post #1287974
Posted Wednesday, May 02, 2012 8:35 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Saturday, March 08, 2014 8:13 AM
anthony.green (4/23/2012)
I know there are no official MS Press books for 70-450, but other than Transcenders and MeasureUp/SelfTestSoftware, what other none rule breaking resources are good to swat up on. If anyone can recommend a book much like the MC:TS book for 70-432 that would be amazing as that helped me on the bits I struggled on when I failed 70-432 for the first time.

The only one I've seen is Tom Carpenter's book. It's pretty good; I'm using it in my self-study class.

Also is the pass mark 700 still like it is for 70-432 so I can configure the pass mark on Transcender?

According to the FAQ, "All MCTS and MCITP exams are scaled such that the passing score is 700."

Good luck with 70-450.

Peter Maloof
Serving Data
Post #1293888
Posted Wednesday, May 02, 2012 8:51 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Thanks Peter, I have ordered that book just waiting for it to turn up, knowing my luck it will get delivered when I'm not in and I will have to go to the sorting office to pick it up.

Will let you know the outcome in 4 weeks

SQL Server Backup, Integrity Check, and Index and Statistics Maintenance - Ola Hallengren
Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for the Accidental DBA - Jonathan Kehayias and Ted Krueger

Post #1293913
Posted Wednesday, May 02, 2012 9:44 AM

Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 3:28 AM
Hi Anthony

Good luck with the exam!

Quick question I'm looking at doing the 70-432 and have looked at buying the MCTS 70-432 self study book but have read very mixed reviews.

What is your take on it, is the book worth the cash?

Andy

==========================================================================================================================
A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila. Mitch Ratcliffe
Post #1293985
Posted Wednesday, May 02, 2012 12:56 PM

SSCertifiable

It's not bad. I found with it that around 70% of it was basic enough to give the understanding but that it was lacking a bit of meat on the bones but that might just of been as I knew that part of the topics as I only just failed 70-432 by 1 question but it gave me the extra bits where I was lacking.

As with any MS book or course material it's been proof read as best it can but there are the odd mistakes both in the book and in the sample exam which come with it.

It also comes with ( I think ) a £15 discount voucher towards the exam price so in all the book only cost me £10 if you will due to the saving on the exam.

Other than that it's good for reference material as if your like me you only get to do the same things the majority of days so the stuff you only touch once in a while kinda slip to the back of your mind so good for the info when you need it.

Post #1294142
Posted Thursday, May 03, 2012 2:31 AM

Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Thanks Anthony - I'll order a copy

I'll probably need a few more books as well then based on your comments, my main role is Data Warehousing and SSRS but recently become the accidental DBA so I'm on a steep learning curve at the moment!

Thanks Again

Andy

==========================================================================================================================
A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila. Mitch Ratcliffe
Post #1294400
Posted Thursday, May 03, 2012 2:53 AM

SSCertifiable

If you can afford it this is supposed to be a good one http://www.amazon.co.uk/70-443-70-450-Microsoft-Optimization-Infrastructure/dp/0470183748/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1336034065&sr=8-4 granted its for the MCITP but the majority of the concepts would be the same.

I'm waiting on the Tom Carpenter book to turn up but the pocket consultant looked like a good one while I had access to it while I overtook a role from a contractor.

I think the issue with me is that I went into 70-432 a bit smug for one of a better word, as my main tasks have been administration focused for the past 5 years so I thought I knew it. The things I slipped up on the most where security and high availability, but I know where I lack in HA and thats with replication as I hadn't used that piece of tech before.

Post #1294411
Posted Monday, May 28, 2012 2:04 AM

SSCertifiable

Right well tomorrow is going to be a scary day.

Not only do I have my 70-450 exam in the morning, in the afternoon I also find out what sex our first child is going to be (hoping for little girl but will be glad either way).

To be honest I dont think I'm ready for both, so today is going to be cram cram cram with Transcenders, re-reading the 70-432 book and also Tom Carpenters 70-432/70-450 book, then reading through Jason's (SQLRNNR) 70-450 Study Guide.

70-450 Study Guide

Post #1307160
Posted Monday, May 28, 2012 2:27 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Monday, April 14, 2014 5:49 PM
anthony.green (5/28/2012)

Not only do I have my 70-450 exam in the morning, in the afternoon I also find out what sex our first child is going to be (hoping for little girl but will be glad either way).

To be honest I dont think I'm ready for both, so today is going to be cram cram cram with Transcenders, re-reading the 70-432 book and also Tom Carpenters 70-432/70-450 book, then reading through Jason's (SQLRNNR) 70-450 Study Guide.

70-450 Study Guide

All the best for both the tests

Mohammed Moinudheen
Post #1307165
Posted Monday, May 28, 2012 2:29 AM

Say Hey Kid

anthony.green (5/28/2012)

70-450 Study Guide

Good Luck with both Anthony

Post #1307166
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse