Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Push FTP Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, October 11, 2001 12:00 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 4:56 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/sjones/pushftp.asp

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1285
Posted Friday, October 12, 2001 5:32 PM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 7:15 AM
Pretty interesting. I agree that it doesn't make a lot of sense that the DTS task only does one way transfers - I've looked at the API recently and there ain't a lot of difference between get and put.

I like COM and compiled code for solutions, but for this I doubt it make much difference, would be style and not substance!

Andy

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Post #22347
Posted Monday, October 15, 2001 2:51 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Personally I hate installing new software on my servers. I built this solution so that I could quickly and easily move this solution to another server without worrying about registering components, rebooting, etc.

In fact, I setup a new version of this DTS package on a server last week in about 3 minutes with no reboots.

Steve Jones
steve@dkranch.net

Post #22348
Posted Monday, October 15, 2001 3:42 PM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

I agree about reboots - not an issue when you build your own...or as much of an issue anyway. I get a lot of use/reuse out of code in COM dll's.

Andy

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Follow me on Twitter
Post #22349
Posted Monday, October 29, 2001 10:51 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, May 5, 2006 1:47 PM
You've wrapped it up nicely in ActX and no doubt it works great for you, but what about decent error information? I've been down this route but have converted to a COM DLL, so I can get meaningfull error messages. This was a no cost solution as I wrote the DLL and two seconds to install- copy file, register file.

Darren Green

Darren Green
SQLDTS.com   |   SQLIS.com   |   Konesans Ltd
Post #22350
Posted Tuesday, October 30, 2001 6:01 AM
SSCertifiable

Kowabunga, someone who likes to compile code!

Andy

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Follow me on Twitter
Post #22351
Posted Tuesday, October 30, 2001 9:02 AM

SSC-Dedicated

I'll admit the error handling is low here. I could add some in ActiveX easily, though ftp.exe isn't great for doing this.
I really wanted this solution because I can deploy it completely from sql without being at the server.

Steve Jones
steve@dkranch.net

Post #22352
Posted Friday, November 2, 2001 9:43 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 9:03 AM
Cool. I have a remote site that is about to rehost to W2K & S2K. Your solution will come in handy!

Post #22353
Posted Friday, November 2, 2001 10:33 AM

SSC-Dedicated

Glad it will help. I've got some more details for how I handle the other side of the backups I will post soon.

Steve Jones
steve@dkranch.net

Post #22354
Posted Monday, April 1, 2002 10:40 PM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 8:20 AM
Nice article steve. I had the same problem a while ago, I did basically the same thing with a command file for the command line ftp with a cmdshell to run it, works ok but not very clean. in the end, I got a programmer to whip up a com routine for ftp, the beauty of this is that I can specify a specific port which the command line FTP.exe does not allow, therefore, making it very restrictive under some circumstances.

Chris Kempster
www.chriskempster.com
Author of "SQL Server Backup, Recovery & Troubleshooting"
Author of "SQL Server 2k for the Oracle DBA"
Post #22355
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse