Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

SQL named instance alias as server name Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, May 18, 2014 6:11 PM
Hi,

I've got an old apps, which is pointing a database on a named instance SQL e.g. servername1\instancename.
as part of consolidation, I needed to move the database into a new server with default instance e.g. servername2.
as this is an old apps, the only way to re-point the database is by re-installing, and we want to avoid this.

is there away, where i can use alias/a pointer/an name or other in order to point the apps to the new server (without instance name)?

Thanks in advanced.
Post #1282879
Posted Friday, April 13, 2012 12:24 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Thursday, August 28, 2014 2:39 AM
Yes, alias will work, or DNS forwarding.

Alias: Servername\Instance2
Port:1433
Protocol: tcp/ip
Servername: Servername

----------------------------------------------
Msg 8134, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
Divide by zero error encountered.
Post #1282926
Posted Friday, April 13, 2012 12:28 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Hi SSCommitted. thanks for the reply.

I've tested the alias. it'll only work if I setup the alias on server, it doesn't work. only when
i set the alias on the client (my pc) and I can use the alias to connect.

currently the app doesn't have sql configuration manager installed. in order for me to use this alias,
is it a compulsory to install sql configuration manager on the apps server?
Post #1282927
Posted Friday, April 13, 2012 12:30 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

oops I thought ssscommitted is your alias. tx Henrico.
Post #1282929
Posted Friday, April 13, 2012 12:33 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Thursday, August 28, 2014 2:39 AM
is it a compulsory to install sql configuration manager on the apps server?

No, if set up correctly, it should accept the name as a connection from any source as well.
Try setting up a normal odbc connection to you alias name from the app server to confirm.

----------------------------------------------
Msg 8134, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
Divide by zero error encountered.
Post #1282930
Posted Friday, April 13, 2012 3:53 AM

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 1:23 AM
You can setup a SQL Alias using a .reg file, here is a sample keep in mind that its from a windows XP client so may need to be modified for Windows 7, Server 2008 etc...

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\Client\ConnectTo]
"AliasName"="DBMSSOCN,ServerName\\instance"
Post #1282991
Posted Friday, April 13, 2012 3:58 AM

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

The DNS option (create a cname record to the new server, make sure you rename your old server as well ) is a good shout also providing you named instance name stays the same, i've done this a couple of times and it works well.
Post #1282992
Posted Friday, April 13, 2012 11:38 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 12:56 PM
Alias will only work for one Instance per SQL install, when you try to create multiple instance, and multiple alias it will not work. If anyone knows of a way please let me know (Note i can get one Alias to work, but when installing 2nd Instance with another alias it's does not work)
Post #1283307
Posted Monday, April 16, 2012 6:03 AM

Right there with Babe

you should be able to create as many aliases as you like i've never seen any restricaition such as 1 per instance, unless we're not talikng about the same thing?
Post #1284038
Posted Monday, April 16, 2012 6:41 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 12:56 PM
I have a active/active cluster set up. One node has an alias on a named instance, same with the other node. When I created another instance of sql it has servername\instnacename name for the 2nd instance, when I create the 2nd alias, it does not work. Only the first instance (alias) works.
Post #1284061
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse