Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««123

Faultfinding possible I/O issues Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, August 8, 2014 3:25 AM
ps - it was fixed in a service pack version - but since it's sql2000 which i haven't used for 6 years i have no idea which one

MVDBA
Post #1290053
Posted Wednesday, April 25, 2012 9:57 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Friday, August 8, 2014 3:25 AM

On one of the three server pairs in question, yes the hotfixes don't match (2282+2187, and I am awaiting clearance to patch)...and of the four times we have had this problem, the mismatched shippee was the host TWICE.

apparently it was fixed in sp4 which is 2039 - on the link i sent there is also a workaround - on the secondary (shepee) set maxdop to 1 in the server settings and see if it fixes the problem.....

yes i know it's a fudge, but it's the microsoft issue fudge - worth a try before you go ripping disks out

MVDBA
Post #1290064
Posted Wednesday, April 25, 2012 11:16 AM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Today @ 7:31 AM
GilaMonster (4/25/2012)
TheSQLGuru (4/25/2012)
SQLIOSIM is the tool to use to validate that an IO subsystem will properly handle SQL Server IO-style workloads.

But SQL needs to be stopped when running that. The aim is to validate the IO subsystem, nor slaughter it.

I thought he/she said they wanted to know if the IO subsystem had problems with SQL Server data that was causing problems. SQLIOSIM is a/the way to validate that.

Best,

Kevin G. Boles
SQL Server Consultant
SQL MVP 2007-2012
TheSQLGuru at GMail
Post #1290129
Posted Wednesday, April 25, 2012 11:25 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 1:14 PM
TheSQLGuru (4/25/2012)
GilaMonster (4/25/2012)
TheSQLGuru (4/25/2012)
SQLIOSIM is the tool to use to validate that an IO subsystem will properly handle SQL Server IO-style workloads.

But SQL needs to be stopped when running that. The aim is to validate the IO subsystem, nor slaughter it.

I thought he/she said they wanted to know if the IO subsystem had problems with SQL Server data that was causing problems. SQLIOSIM is a/the way to validate that.

Sure, but they can't stop SQL Server without justification (proof of IO problems). Vicious circle.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1290135
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««123

Permissions Expand / Collapse