Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

DB Change Management: An Automated Approach - Part 3 Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, March 13, 2006 2:12 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/
Post #128030
Posted Wednesday, August 11, 2004 8:00 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Friday, April 18, 2014 8:46 AM
I'm with you 100% on the need for an automated method to change management. I agree with you completely on how the automated process should work.

The key to making all of this work is described as the "change control tool". The problem I have is that I haven't been able to find a comprehensive change control tool that does all the things that are described in the article.

One point that is missing on the change control tool is "system data". Schema is referenced frequently, but most databases also have tables that control certain aspects of the application. This system data would also need to be kept under source control and handled automatically by the vaporous change control tool.

If somebody can recommend a change control tool that does all these things and is affordable for a team of less than 10 people, I'm all ears!

Post #131211
Posted Wednesday, August 11, 2004 9:48 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, December 17, 2008 8:34 AM
Check out www.dbghost.com - it is the tool as talked about in Darrens article.
Post #131237
Posted Monday, August 16, 2004 2:17 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Thursday, May 21, 2009 5:23 PM
[q]"make all necessary changes to the target database to ensure that it matches the scripts"[/q]

Without the tool, this statement is the whole "ball game".

You might as well mention the tool you're flogging by name, and its price.

Post #131912
Posted Monday, August 16, 2004 7:12 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Monday, March 13, 2006 2:12 PM

Thanks for the feedback.  The approach I have outlined does provide for the change control of "system data" (or "reference data" or "meta data").  It may be just a difference in terminology as I refer to this data in my articles as "static data".

I will reiterate here what has been discussed on the forum for Part 1.  I have tried to write the articles as generically as possible.  My goal is to convey the concepts of SQL object (and hence database) version control and automated generation of change scripts.  My experience of database change management over many years has proven that huge improvements in this area are long overdue.  Yes, automation of your processes requires software.  But it can be software of your choosing or you can write your own.  There are also some good articles around that discuss alternative approaches e.g. links to Steve Jones articles on Part 1 forum.

Thanks,

Darren Fuller

darren.fuller@innovartis.co.uk

Post #131963
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse