Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

SQL Cluster - Multi Instance Expand / Collapse
Author
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 3:26 AM
I have a SQL 2008 R2 Cluster name of say SQLCluster1 on NodeA with an instance name of Instance1 ie. SQLCluster1\Instance1. I also want to install another instance called Instance2 on NodeA/SQLCluster1 ie. SQLCluster1\Instance2.

Is this possible?

Thanks

Steve
Post #1269471
Posted Tuesday, March 20, 2012 6:15 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Monday, August 18, 2014 9:20 AM
yes

______________________________________________________________________________________________
Forum posting etiquette. Get your answers faster.
Post #1269478
Posted Tuesday, March 20, 2012 6:30 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

I thought so too but the documentation I have read doesn't seem to allow it. Do you have a link?
Post #1269488
Posted Tuesday, March 20, 2012 6:51 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Instances per computer. Scroll down and you'll see 50 instances per computer or 25 per failover cluster.

______________________________________________________________________________________________
Post #1269499
Posted Tuesday, March 20, 2012 6:55 AM
Valued Member

But I don't see which option on the install screen allows me to do this?

I don't want to install a new SQL Cluster name with a named instance but a new instance to an existing SQL Cluster.

Am I missing the point?

Thanks

Steve
Post #1269505
Posted Tuesday, March 20, 2012 7:01 AM
Ten Centuries

You would install it just like you installed the first instance. Installation > New SQL Server Failover Cluster Installation.
There are prerequisites you need to meet before hand that have to do with the cluster disk resources and stuff, but installing it is no different than any other time.

instance 1
-Node A-Install New SQL Server Failover Cluster Installation
-Node B-Add Node to SQL Server Failover Cluster
sqlclust\instance1

instance 2
-Node A-Install New SQL Server Failover Cluster Installation
-Node B-Add Node to SQL Server Failover Cluster
sqlclust\instance2

Post #1269509
Posted Tuesday, March 20, 2012 7:07 AM
Valued Member

That's maybe the difference - I want to use the same disks as the first instance on SQLCluster1 is using?
Post #1269520
Posted Tuesday, March 20, 2012 7:19 AM
Ten Centuries

Gotta have a couple fresh disks for the new instance. If you install the second instance on the same disks as the first (which can be done after installation I believe) you can't do active/active and you stand the chance of losing both instances if a disk fails.

Post #1269528
Posted Tuesday, March 20, 2012 8:40 AM
Valued Member

Yes that makes sense.

So you can either have a default instance OR named instance for a SQL cluster, but not both. Also, you can't use the same cluster name more than once even using a different set of disks?
Post #1269604
Posted Tuesday, March 20, 2012 8:41 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Thursday, May 15, 2014 5:11 PM
You can only have one named instance per virtual name. As of SQL 2008R2 you couldn't add a second instance to an existing virtual name.

Keep in mind the various names and ip addresses involved in clustering
Node 1 Name, Node 1 IP Address
Node 2 Name, Node 2 IP Address
Cluster Virtual Name, Cluster IP Address
SQL Virtual Name 1, SQL IP Address 1 (named [only one per cluster] or default instance)
SQL Virtual Name 2, SQL IP Address 2 (named [only one per cluster] or default instance)

It seemed from a previous post that the SQL was being referenced this way [cluster virtual name]\[Instance Name], it *may work as long as the instance is on the same node as the cluster virtual name is residing on. The cluster virtual name is basically just the administration name for the cluster in the case of SQL.

CEWII
Post #1269605
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse