Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Adding a log shipping monitor Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, March 14, 2012 10:23 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, July 17, 2014 6:43 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Adding a log shipping monitor

Luke C
MCSE: Data Platform, MCP, MCTS, MCITP - Database Administrator & Database Developer
Post #1267237
Posted Thursday, March 15, 2012 2:52 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Saturday, July 19, 2014 5:02 AM
Good one.
Post #1267302
Posted Thursday, March 15, 2012 9:17 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 9:46 AM
I created a new thread in the SQL 2008 HA section where I have to look at both primary and secondary/monitor servers to get the information I require. Check here.

Good article.

qh

SQL 2K acts like a spoilt child - you need to coax it round with lollipops.
Post #1267584
Posted Thursday, March 15, 2012 2:27 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 12:18 PM
ok, now that you have a log shipping monitoring server, what can you do with it?
Post #1267859
Posted Thursday, March 15, 2012 11:13 PM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Tuesday, September 25, 2012 4:33 AM
Great article!!Thanks for sharing it in a detailed step by step way..
Post #1268020
Posted Friday, March 16, 2012 7:31 AM
SSC Veteran

Last Login: Thursday, July 17, 2014 6:43 PM
Ron, there are several benefits in using a remote log shipping monitor. They include

1. Centralized monitoring and alerting solution. If you have several instances participating in log shipping throughout your enterprise this would allow you to view the overall health of those instances (provided you setup a remote log shipping monitor ).

2. The transaction log shipping status report on the monitor displays the status of backup, copy and restores for the instances using the monitor (instead of having to look at each primary and secondary instances). Those values listed in red have exceeded their set thresholds and action is needed.

3. If either the primary or secondary instance goes offline, or SQL Server Agent is stopped, you'll still receive alerts from the remote monitor. For example, if the primary went offline you'd no longer receive alerts when your backup threshold was exceeded.

For more information take a look at the link below. Thanks for reading!

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190224.aspx

Luke C
MCSE: Data Platform, MCP, MCTS, MCITP - Database Administrator & Database Developer
Post #1268225
Posted Friday, March 16, 2012 8:11 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 12:18 PM
Thanks Luke, so now I finally understand what the monitoring server is for. We currently use SCOM to monitor the LSAlert jobs and create a ticket if the LSAlert job fails. If I setup a monitoring server, what additional information can I monitor? I looked at ms190224 and it does not appears that there is a lot of additional information.
Post #1268262
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse