Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Call That a Database? This is a Database. Expand / Collapse
Author

Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, October 10, 2013 5:51 AM
pbowman-543344 (2/27/2012)
diddybase - < 1Gb, especially the "test" or "proof of concept" databases, beloved of developers, with less than 10,000 records in each table, or with an entire dataset < available RAM.

terrorbase - Terabytes. Lots of em.

But I agree with Phil, the biggest lack is words for proper OLTP systems with hundreds/thousands of simultaneous processes needing to do non-repudiable, acid-compliant transactions without deadlocking. Think stock exchanges or other trading platforms.

Love Diddybase!

suggestion for an Online transactransaction mega massive database?

an Oltrabase? or an Oltra Mega-base

me:"Emily! We do not pull the wallpaper off the walls!"
Emily (aged 3)<sulkily mumbles>:"We do because we can."
Post #1258211
Posted Monday, February 27, 2012 7:06 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:25 PM
Great one, Phil, and we certainly need better terms. This large/very large, isn't a good choice as that will constantly evolve. Made up words that describe size, scale, or even rate of transactions, would be better.

Provided that we don't try to be marketers and create words that imply we've ever reached some limit, like the Ultimabase or something similar.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1258220
Posted Monday, February 27, 2012 11:45 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Friday, February 8, 2013 10:21 AM
Great topic. I think there's a perfect metaphor around highway interchanges. I particularly like this description of so-called stack interchanges: "This is not only expensive but also creates an eyesore among local residents, leading to considerable NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard) opposition. Large stacks with multiple levels are often colloquially described as Mixmasters or spaghetti bowls due to their complex appearance, being compared to boiled spaghetti." So perhaps something like this works:

CASE
WHEN DatabaseSize > 1Tb and Concurrency > 1000
THEN 'CloverStack'
WHEN DatabaseSize BETWEEN 100Gb AND 1Tb and Concurrency > 500
THEN 'CloverLeaf'
WHEN DatabaseSize BETWEEN 1Gb AND 100Gb and Concurrency > 50
THEN 'Roundabout'
WHEN DatabaseSize BETWEEN 1Mb AND 1Gb and Concurrency < 20
THEN 'Mayberry'
END as DatabaseClass

I'm sure there are holes in my CASE statement, but there are tons of possibilities. And when you think about it we're trying to keep everything flowing as best we can with unpredictable inputs (volume of traffic, size of vehicles, weather conditions, etc.), a limited budget and specs that change after the infrastructure has been hardened.

Great topic.

~~ Everything in moderation, including moderation. ~~
Post #1258437
Posted Monday, February 27, 2012 11:46 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:46 AM
I've just used the term 'unCoddly' for a database that had all sorts of de-normalisations in it.
As regarding having to remember the types of database, we all find it easy to remember the sixty names of types of dog. It is just as well, considering that there is a huge difference between a Chihuahua and a Great Dane.

Best wishes,

Phil Factor
Simple Talk
Post #1258438
Posted Monday, February 27, 2012 12:09 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Monday, July 7, 2014 11:26 AM
Here's my two cents, FWIW: The fault for the effects of poor communication does not fall on the English language for it's lack of overly specific terminology. The fault lies with every one of us, who uses terms like "database" ambiguously. If you *mean* something like MS-Access running on a local workstation, say so. If you *mean* something like a mega/giga/tera-OLTP, say so. We have the words... use them.

This has always been one of my pet peaves.... Too often, the speaker/writer has a fully formed specific idea of what he is talking about and in his own mind he knows what he, himself, specifically means by a word like "database" - - - but he fails to take into account the the context of the listener/reader with whom he is endeavoring to communicate. I always try to be concsious of ambiguities in certain terminology, and to explicitly resolve the specifics in my communication wherever warranted.

Most miscommunication that I see happening comes BOTH from speakers *and* listeners failing to notice (even fairly obvious) abiguities in their words.

For example, if there is *ANY* chance that the listener/reader might interpret my use of the word "database" as something like MS-Access, when I really mean something like SQL Server, .... *and* if that difference is germane to the discussion, I'll try to be very explicit in what I am talking about and why it is a relevant distinction.

I don't think we need to invent new words for this. In fact, I think it might actually be counter-productive because there are SO many combinations and permutations of database features, scopes, scales, etc... that we'd end up with such a proliferation of new words, they would only confuse things further.

Post #1258458
Posted Tuesday, February 28, 2012 1:34 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Saturday, July 5, 2014 12:16 PM
A few things come to mind when reading the article.

1. Kate Bush's album '50 Words for Snow' - excellent stuff.
2. An uncle talking about his database containing a few hundred records. 'Oh, yes, databases, I have one too...'
3. Crocodile Dundee: Michael J. "Crocodile" Dundee: [chuckling] That's not a knife. [draws a large Bowie knife] That's a knife.

The simple distinctions I make:
Small databases: sandboxes
Critical databases: handle with care-databases

Nice article.

Dutch Anti-RBAR League
Post #1258675
Posted Tuesday, February 28, 2012 3:20 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:46 PM
InOverYourHeadBase

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1259182