Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Next Step in my Carrer Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, February 15, 2012 9:38 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, June 16, 2014 3:02 AM
Hi Experts,

Can you please guide me, right im in L2 Core DBA, what is the next step i have to take?

I mean what kind of stuff i have to develop in DBA carrer?

I am planning to learn DATA STAGE is it fine or not ?

I dont have Cluster administration Exp, How can develop Cluster side activities ?

How is Environment in Datacenters, In case i have to work with datacenters, How can develop my self ?

Thanks in advance for you guys.

Tx
Post #1252551
Posted Wednesday, February 22, 2012 6:34 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 8:15 AM
Three main areas of development:
1- Performance tuning.
2- Business continuity.
3- and the, again, more Performance tuning.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
Post #1255896
Posted Wednesday, February 22, 2012 6:59 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
shiv-356842 (2/15/2012)
Hi Experts,

Can you please guide me, right im in L2 Core DBA, what is the next step i have to take?

I mean what kind of stuff i have to develop in DBA carrer?

I am planning to learn DATA STAGE is it fine or not ?

I dont have Cluster administration Exp, How can develop Cluster side activities ?

How is Environment in Datacenters, In case i have to work with datacenters, How can develop my self ?

Thanks in advance for you guys.

Tx

Have you ever setup for backups and 10 minute log backups and then actually done a restore to a point in time? Have you ever transferred a database from one server to another and made sure that all the privs were ok? Have you ever created privs for a "Windows Group" and created database roles that you've assigned membership to? Have you ever tried to delete a database user that owns objects?

If you haven't, those things would be the beginning of the next step. Too many people jump into things like performance tuning without learning the meat-and-potatos of being a DBA and they quickly earn a bad reputation because of it.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1255925
Posted Thursday, February 23, 2012 5:47 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 8:15 AM
You are right Jeff, can't argue about it - I assumed poster is already a decent DBA

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
Post #1256578
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse