Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Indexed Views Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, February 09, 2012 8:01 PM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:12 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Indexed Views
Post #1250049
Posted Thursday, February 09, 2012 11:47 PM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Monday, April 14, 2014 5:49 PM
Thanks for the question. I came across another discussion in this link :

Mohammed Moinudheen
Post #1250077
Posted Friday, February 10, 2012 12:17 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 9:35 AM
Nice question. I vaguely remembered reading something about this in my certification prep, it's not something I encounter daily.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1250079
Posted Friday, February 10, 2012 1:25 AM

SSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:53 AM
I know that query optimizer use index on view only for some edition, but with noexpand you can force the use of index. I still working with sql2000. In sql2008 r2, I think it would be better to use filtered index.
Post #1250087
Posted Friday, February 10, 2012 1:49 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:40 AM
Thanks for the question.
Got caught out by BOL contradicting itself in various places again.
At least I leaned something here.

Post #1250096
Posted Friday, February 10, 2012 2:32 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 10:24 AM
I hate questions where I have to second-guess the author. Did the author mean that the optimizer would choose to use the indexed view automatically? Or did he mean that you could make the optimizer use it by using hints? I took a 50% chance gamble, and I chose wrong.

BTW, now that I am posting anyway - there is one word in the explanation is wrong: "The query optimizer in lower editions will only consider the indexed view if you use the NOEXPAND table hint" (emphasis mine) - this is incorrect. With the NOEXPAND hint, the optimizer will not consider the indexed view; this hint forces the optimizer to use the indexed view. Enterprise edition (and developer edition) is the only place where the optimizer will consider the indexed view as one of multiple options, and choose the cheapest.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
Post #1250113
Posted Friday, February 10, 2012 2:47 AM

SSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:53 AM
Hugo Kornelis (2/10/2012)
I hate questions where I have to second-guess the author. Did the author mean that the optimizer would choose to use the indexed view automatically? Or did he mean that you could make the optimizer use it by using hints? I took a 50% chance gamble, and I chose wrong.

BTW, now that I am posting anyway - there is one word in the explanation is wrong: "The query optimizer in lower editions will only consider the indexed view if you use the NOEXPAND table hint" (emphasis mine) - this is incorrect. With the NOEXPAND hint, the optimizer will not consider the indexed view; this hint forces the optimizer to use the indexed view. Enterprise edition (and developer edition) is the only place where the optimizer will consider the indexed view as one of multiple options, and choose the cheapest.

+1
Post #1250123
Posted Friday, February 10, 2012 2:51 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:40 AM

+1

Post #1250125
Posted Friday, February 10, 2012 5:14 AM
SSCrazy

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 8:36 AM

+1
Post #1250201
Posted Friday, February 10, 2012 5:46 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:12 AM

If I'd meant automatically, I'd have said automatically.

Yes, that is incorrect, but I think you've picked the wrong word(s) to correct. The intended meaning was "The query optimizer in lower editions will only consider the indexes on the view if you use the NOEXPAND table hint." The reason I used the word consider is that NOEXPAND does not force the use of a particular index, it only tells SQL server not to refer back to the original table.
Post #1250219
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse