Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

SSRS 2005 appears to be broken, how do I fix it? Expand / Collapse
Author
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, July 7, 2014 2:30 PM
My Mistake. I've been using the 2008 Reporting services Configuration for so long I forgot what the 2005 version looked like. I thought they were the same...

What happens if you try connecting using the IIS Manager? (Servername -> WebSites ->Default Webpage >rightclick & choose Browse)

Post #1278975
Posted Friday, April 6, 2012 6:02 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Friday, June 20, 2014 8:23 AM
Steven.Howes (4/5/2012)
My Mistake. I've been using the 2008 Reporting services Configuration for so long I forgot what the 2005 version looked like. I thought they were the same...

What happens if you try connecting using the IIS Manager? (Servername -> WebSites ->Default Webpage >rightclick & choose Browse)

Don't know. Will try when I'm at work.

I've been wondering if we wouldn't be better off just uninstalling SSRS and re-installing it again. If we went that route, would it just be a case of using the SQL 2005 DVD to uninstall & re-install?

Kindest Regards,

Rod
Connect with me on LinkedIn.
Post #1279434
Posted Friday, April 6, 2012 8:24 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Steven.Howes (4/5/2012)

OK, I'm at work and can try usein IIS Manager from the server to see how it behaves. If I try to browse http://<ourserver>/Reports I get the following:

"This program cannot display the webpage"

If I try to browse, from within IIS, the website http://<ourserver>/ReportServer, I get the following:

"This program cannot display the webpage"

Kindest Regards,

Rod
Post #1279513
Posted Thursday, May 3, 2012 11:27 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 2:23 PM
Rod at work (4/4/2012)
I think what happened was the former DBA, when he set up our current server for SQL Server, he just copied all of the report files from the old server, and plopped them into the folder directory for the new server (years ago). And I'm guessing that's why they've never worked on the current, production server.

How do I fix it, given that scenario?

If that is how he did it, and he did not do anything with the encryption key, it's not supposed to work. Is the old server still available and operational? Perhaps you can "backup" the encryption key there, and "restore" it to this server.

Of course, before you go and change the key on the new server, make a backup copy of that, just in case things get worse.

There are several reasons why this won't work. The encryption key must be backed up when anything dealing with credentials changes... like the service accounts used. The algorithm used to create the symmetric key, also uses the private and public keys on the server (those of the user performing the work). It then uses the password provided to encrypt the file where you backup the key.

I am intimately involved in a similar situation this week. Perhaps we can help each other here.

Thanks,

David Russell
Oracle Since 1982
SQL Server Since 1998
Post #1294831
Posted Thursday, May 3, 2012 1:35 PM
Right there with Babe

No, on the old server SSRS isn't functional at all.

Kindest Regards,

Rod
Post #1294937
Posted Thursday, May 3, 2012 2:25 PM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Friday, May 9, 2014 12:30 PM
Rod,

Based on the above, my understanding is that you can access the reports via the ReportServer URL but not via the Reports URL... is this still the case?

Maybe a shot in the dark, but I had a similar issue not long ago... log into your server and navigate to C:\Windows\Temp and make sure that whatever account the SQL Reporting Services server is running under has full access to that TEMP directory. Basically, whenever you run the nice friendly interface it's building and modifying temporary files in that directory, and if it doesn't have full access it can't do that properly, and it fails.

Aside from that, if you can run the reports via ReportServer and not via Reports, it's almost certainly a web issue (IIS or something) and not an SSRS issue. Someone mentioned the encryption key, but all those really protect is the data sources. If that key was the issue, what you'd be seeing is that you'd be able to navigate the site okay but whenever you tried to actually RUN a report, it'd fail to connect to the data source.

When you try to go to Reports, are you only doing so from your own computer or have you also tried doing so from the server itself? On the server itself, by default, you get more verbose error messages on your screen when something fails.

Take a look in c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.3\Reporting Services\ReportManager and look for the following section:

<system.diagnostics>
<switches>
<!-- 1 = error, 2 = warning, 3 = info, 4 = verbose -->
<add name="DefaultTraceSwitch" value="3" />
</switches>
</system.diagnostics>

Set the DefaultTraceSwitch value to 4, save the file then restart SQL Reporting Services (best to do this via the SSRS Config Manager) and then try going to your Reports site. The log files should be at c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.3\Reporting Services\LogFiles

Post #1294959
Posted Friday, May 11, 2012 2:40 PM
Right there with Babe

cphite (5/3/2012)
Rod,

Based on the above, my understanding is that you can access the reports via the ReportServer URL but not via the Reports URL... is this still the case?

Maybe a shot in the dark, but I had a similar issue not long ago... log into your server and navigate to C:\Windows\Temp and make sure that whatever account the SQL Reporting Services server is running under has full access to that TEMP directory. Basically, whenever you run the nice friendly interface it's building and modifying temporary files in that directory, and if it doesn't have full access it can't do that properly, and it fails.

Aside from that, if you can run the reports via ReportServer and not via Reports, it's almost certainly a web issue (IIS or something) and not an SSRS issue. Someone mentioned the encryption key, but all those really protect is the data sources. If that key was the issue, what you'd be seeing is that you'd be able to navigate the site okay but whenever you tried to actually RUN a report, it'd fail to connect to the data source.

When you try to go to Reports, are you only doing so from your own computer or have you also tried doing so from the server itself? On the server itself, by default, you get more verbose error messages on your screen when something fails.

Take a look in c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.3\Reporting Services\ReportManager and look for the following section:

<system.diagnostics>
<switches>
<!-- 1 = error, 2 = warning, 3 = info, 4 = verbose -->
<add name="DefaultTraceSwitch" value="3" />
</switches>
</system.diagnostics>

Set the DefaultTraceSwitch value to 4, save the file then restart SQL Reporting Services (best to do this via the SSRS Config Manager) and then try going to your Reports site. The log files should be at c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.3\Reporting Services\LogFiles

I've finally had a chance to try what you suggested. I've given full control privileges to the account that the SSRS service is running under, on that server. Then I brought up web browser on the server, and went to http://myserver/Reports. I got the following error message:

Unable to connect to the remote server

Kindest Regards,

Rod
Post #1298969
Posted Friday, May 11, 2012 2:45 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:35 PM
Seems to me that Reporting Services just doesn't like you for some reason. Wish I could help but not familiar with it enough to provide much assistance. I am watching to see how things turn out. Never know when I might face a similar situation.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #1298972
Posted Saturday, May 12, 2012 8:33 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

so we're back to where I came in. You can't see the reports either way. You have the pretty GUI and the list... and before, you were seeing through the list; but, people didn't like that. Now you can't see anything. Perhaps something was left in cache and you've cleared it alone the way. Has this machine been restarted since February? Patches applied, etc? It's not always easy to un-install/re-install SQL Server. I haven't done that since 2006 when this site published my notes on cleaning up. We were using Beta software, so anything I wrote about could have been fixed... Still, it could still be difficult. You would be better off trying to install fresh on another host or in a VM. seems like I had other suggestions, let me finish reading and I will comment again below.

Thanks,

David Russell
Oracle Since 1982
SQL Server Since 1998
Post #1299196
Posted Saturday, May 12, 2012 8:37 PM
SSC Veteran

changing the service accounts used will invalidate the encryption key. I suspect you have now lost your authentication information which means you might as well go ahead and delete the existing key and create a new one. Make a backup of the key to disk before you delete it, just in case. When you make the key, remember the security password you use. You will need to use that if you restore it.

Thanks,

David Russell
Oracle Since 1982
SQL Server Since 1998
Post #1299197
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse