Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 1234»»»

Change Management Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, February 2, 2012 9:53 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 8:48 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Change Management

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1246234
Posted Thursday, February 2, 2012 11:21 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 12:44 AM
Having worked at a bank and retailer(both quite big) we use Change Management all the time. The change team coordinator is one of our close allies and usually assign most of the tasks to do to us.They were all ladies and very very strict. And watch out if you have deployed without approval... you might want to get that CV ready.
Post #1246257
Posted Friday, February 3, 2012 1:40 AM

Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, July 25, 2014 7:53 AM
My company is quite small, and we do not use any Change Management. We are part of the way there by requiring the requests for changes to be logged in our helpdesk, but that isn't done in such a way that there's any real trail to the actual changes.

There's so much to do and so little time, it's hard to initiate something like this by choice. On the other hand, it would be better to do it by choice than to have a situation where a director of the company gets involved and asks why things weren't better documented/controlled.
Post #1246287
Posted Friday, February 3, 2012 2:00 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 2:19 AM
We log change "requests" in our in-house change control system. It's good because we have a track of the changes made as Steve mentions. But the system isn't very granular, so it's not like a source control system for example.
Post #1246292
Posted Friday, February 3, 2012 2:00 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Friday, July 4, 2014 9:03 AM
We have formal change mangement procedures and stick to them all the time.

But what sort of organisation pays Change Manager more than it's senior DBAs?
Post #1246294
Posted Friday, February 3, 2012 2:28 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Thursday, February 14, 2013 8:18 AM
Being singularly responsible for our in-house SQL estate, I try and follow change control procedures. Nothing too radical, just a document of the change and the scripts used to deploy although on occasions, other people will do deployments and the change control steps are missed. Its quite a small company so the only person enforcing this is myself and to be honest, i can count on one hand where i've retrospectively made use of the documentation (although I'm not saying its a reason not to do it!).

I've also worked at large banks and the change control there is far too restrictive to the point where people would rather not fix an issue due to the red-tape around raising a change request. I know change is risky and banking systems are complex with many stakeholders but for many things the Change process was just far too restrictive.

Post #1246306
Posted Friday, February 3, 2012 2:41 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Friday, July 25, 2014 3:15 AM
I work for a medium-sized company (around 600 employees) where we have never had any formal Change Management.

We have, however, put in a system for automatically recording code changes after the event, so we can roll back if (or when!) things go wrong.

I also created a Change Log database a couple of years back. It seems as if I'm the only one who uses this with any consistency, but I like having a record of what I've done. It saves time whenever I think "I'm sure I've done something like this before", and I like the idea of having something to point to if someone says "Just what have you been doing lately?"
Post #1246309
Posted Friday, February 3, 2012 2:52 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Today @ 10:23 AM
Small company here < 15 employees. No formal process at all. Change is managed (minimally) though and would take one of two forms depending on the project:

- Incrementing versions married to a document listing the main points about that version (that's the heavy version!)
- Release ad hoc based on change and issue tracking

With the size of the company we are lucky to get anyone beyond the developer to even look at test deployments before they go live. That's how you know it's a big and important change. Fortunately we mostly get it right - I would sometimes like a bit of help with that but what can you do? To be fair I like being fast acting and responsive - I've got used to it now.
Post #1246312
Posted Friday, February 3, 2012 3:09 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Wednesday, May 29, 2013 2:53 AM
"However I've found that any change management quickly becomes a bottleneck devoid of common sense and full of bureaucratic nonsense."

Oh so true Steve.......'ITIL'd to death. You couldn't do anything without a reference number

Madame Artois
Post #1246318
Posted Friday, February 3, 2012 4:18 AM
Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:26 AM
I have worked in large companies where the change control procedure is beyond ridiculous, it takes up so much time for (as far as I can see) little benefit. The company I work in now is a mid-size firm and while we have formal change control procedures because it is a Canadian company and as such is subject to Canadian Bill 198 auditing requirements it is implemented in a sensible way. Essentially all sign-offs are held in a call system and all code changes in a source control repository. This works very well and seems to me to be a sensible and proportionate implentation of change control for what we do. It enables us to react quickly to problems that arise in the production environment and the ability to implement planned changes on our own timetable, in partnership with the business obviously.
Post #1246365
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse