Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Process Support Database Framework Expand / Collapse
Author
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, August 3, 2014 6:50 PM
Unfortunately, the code I developed is the property of my employer, so I'm not at liberty to share it. I would be interested in helping to develop an open-source solution. My solution is currently entirely in T-SQL that is copied into each database, but I'm looking at using SQL Server Management Objects to reduce the amount of T-SQL used.

Jay Bienvenu | http://bienv.com | http://twitter.com/jbnv
Post #1242852
Posted Friday, January 27, 2012 4:39 PM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Friday, August 30, 2013 1:20 PM
jbnv, are you serious about working on an open source version? Do you think it is worthwhile?

I've actually been trying to build a SQL/table based workflow engine with a similar design for years, and have long contemplated open sourcing what I have so far, frankly because I don't have time to finish it and turn it into a commercial product, and secondly because nobody I knew showed any interest or support.

Personally, I love this little framework I was hacking on - and I like yours too. It's a pretty generic pattern actually, but it can do so many things.

I got so far as to be able to render workflow graphs from the database, and handle branching, multiple statuses, etc. and it was modeled *very* roughly after Petri nets.

This same framework is totally reusable all over the place too, not just in ETL.

Thoughts? Anybody else interested?
Post #1243175
Posted Saturday, January 28, 2012 8:53 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Tuesday, July 1, 2014 9:55 AM
I'd be interested in throwing in on an open source effort. I agree that it can do much more than only SSIS. I look forward to sharing my ideas on this project.

--Paul Hunter
Post #1243218
Posted Saturday, January 28, 2012 11:47 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, July 9, 2014 1:43 PM
I would also love to participate in such a project. I think this type of framework would establish some great control yet allowing flexiblity and encouraging TEAM development on projects in any group. The analytics group I have supported for the last 6 years has technical "savvy", in that they have incredible vision to get data-driven projects off the ground, and enough SQL server skills to get themsevles killed, but they don't have a processing framework in which they can "plug-in" to. What ends up happening instead is alot of "satellite" processes in which I end up supporting, which leads to unnecessary data redundancy and server contention due to "duct-taped" architecture and processes.

Does anyone have any source code that is similar to Leo Peysakhovich's ERD?

Any help would greatly be appreciated!

Regards,

Jordan M. Stone
Wells Fargo - Capital Markets
jstone923@hotmail.com
jordan.m.stone@wellsfargo.com
314-719-1325
Post #1243233
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse