Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Better Than Batman Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2012 10:03 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:06 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Better Than Batman

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1238432
Posted Thursday, January 19, 2012 12:16 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:27 PM
Thanks for introducing me to Breadpig - that is a new one for me.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1238463
Posted Thursday, January 19, 2012 12:35 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Tuesday, June 3, 2014 8:16 AM
This is actually something I think about from time to time. But I struggle with what I believe to be the best way.

I often compare how Sweden was between year ~1200 and ~1800.

Iran looks somewhat like several European countries for 200-300 years ago, females has no say, one man in charge. All thou they still have their religion closely tied to the state which is very dangerous.

Then we have africa.. some of these countries has ~800 to ~200 years left to go.

This is a path most European countries already have passed. How do you help another countries people to pass this history and learn what we learned? If the influence comes to fast, to strong from the outside, the people will probably simply reject it and continue in their slow path.

Humanitarian help.. sure, I donate some to Amnesty, but help others so that they can help themselves would be more important.
Post #1238483
Posted Thursday, January 19, 2012 2:02 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, June 4, 2014 2:14 PM
Brilliant editorial Steve!

What more do any of us really need than food to eat and clothes to wear, when there are so many in the world without even that.
Post #1238500
Posted Thursday, January 19, 2012 2:46 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Today @ 4:38 AM
I am at least moderately heartened by the general philanthropy of the great tech businessmen, Larry Ellison I believe is also pretty good, and it is certainly something you have to respect Bill for.

Not an excuse for governments to abandon redisdistributive efforts though IMO.
Post #1238508
Posted Thursday, January 19, 2012 4:19 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Friday, July 4, 2014 9:03 AM
Yes, Bill Gates is to be admired for what he did at Microsoft for what he does now.

So how do we end up with a society that upholds Apple (new iphone/ipad etc. every 6 months to exploit those who MUST have the latest gadget) yet despises Microsoft?
Post #1238541
Posted Thursday, January 19, 2012 6:15 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 1:58 PM
I'm glad Bill did eventually get on board with charity. I have made a pledge to the "Imagine No Malaria" campaign. I believe that will succeed in a few years and it will be a great story.

Lets not forget that most charity comes from people with lower incomes. They understand it's value because they are much closer to the need. At the lowest incomes, people just share, they are charitable everyday, they don't wait until after they are the richest person in the world.
Post #1238599
Posted Thursday, January 19, 2012 6:33 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Thursday, April 10, 2014 6:27 AM
I believe in doing good things, but as for Bill Gates is concerned, his foundation is doing more damage than good. His foundation is a front for something far worse than it seem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WQtRI7A064
But the truth be told that they real want 90% of the world population gone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-CrNlilZho
You should always check the real motive of any big organization. Many times it not what it seems.
Post #1238616
Posted Thursday, January 19, 2012 6:36 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:18 AM
As far as I am concerned he has done much more on-the-ground good than Mother Theresa.

Evil capitalist. ;)

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --
Post #1238619
Posted Thursday, January 19, 2012 6:37 AM

SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 5:30 PM
Thank you for your words Steve, it was a great and very human editorial, and to be true, I think that you have already a place in that "Better Than Batman" list.

Take care everyone.
JCM
Post #1238620
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse