Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

WWBOD Expand / Collapse
Author
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, March 10, 2014 6:02 PM
I would probably spend all the lottery money in my own real estate business, and make it grow and live out of its profits. I would keep working in my job (I love what I do) but probably hire someone to supervise the RE business.

A few things I want to do if money is not an obstacle:
- Build (from scratch) and operate a datacenter
- Build (from scratch) a 500+ CPUs Linux Supercomputer (just for the fun of building it)
- Travel around the world just switching planes at the airports without visiting the city (say Dallas-Miami-Paris-Tel Aviv-Delhi-Sydney-Tokyo-Los Angeles-Dallas, also just for the fun of it!!)

Regards,

"El" Jerry.

"A watt of Ottawa" - Gerardo Galvan
Post #1235667
Posted Friday, January 13, 2012 8:14 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Thursday, April 10, 2014 6:27 AM
http://opensourceecology.org/
This is were I go to work.
Post #1235679
Posted Friday, January 13, 2012 8:15 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Monday, April 14, 2014 9:25 AM
Well, first I'd register for the SQLCruise to Alaska :)

I would put an addition on my house and buy the 3 acres behind me from my neighbor. I would buy a truck and a horse trailer, and probably another horse. Or two. No, no, just one.

And, I like my job and the projects I'm working on, so I'd like to keep doing it, but I'd want to reduce my time commitment so I could spend more time with my son, and my older horse plus the new one :) And, I'd be able to be more active in the school district through PTO and maybe even the board of education. Maybe.

If my job didn't like the reduced time commitment, then I'd go to the county animal shelter and see if they needed any sort of database/application development, and maybe work with them to provide those. I could then expand to other animal shelters and work with animal rescue groups to assist them with needs they may have as well.

I really enjoy moving more into a DBA role from being a developer; the community is amazing as far as support, so I want to stay (or become) more actively involved, and hopefully I'd have more time to devote to this involvement.
Post #1235680
Posted Friday, January 13, 2012 8:24 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Today @ 11:16 AM
I've often played the "what if" game about winning the lottery. I've always figured what I would do is first take 1/2 of every check and put it in some sort of long term / low risk investment account.

I'd keep working for my current employer, but I'd go to part-time, maybe work Tuesdays-Thursdays. Pay off my current house and buy a bigger house out in the country, then sell my current house to my Mom-In-Law for $1, create college fund accounts for my nieces and nephews, and help my Dad out financially. I'd also make the current owners of my Grandparents old house up north an "offer they can't refuse," and get that place back in the family.

Once all that was set, then the wife and I would take 6 months off from work and go traveling.

The wife has always wanted to open her own bookstore / comic shop, so I'd help her do this with the seed money for it. As for my spare time, I'd probably use it to keep improving myself, maybe do some charity work around the area. Maybe donate PCs to local charities to give to kids whose families can't afford them (maybe even start a charity to do that, cut a deal with a local cell provider to provide internet for these kids, too)
Post #1235687
Posted Friday, January 13, 2012 8:29 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Friday, February 21, 2014 8:14 AM
As with most people, first, I would pay off my house and insure that my children did not have to worry about how to pay for their college.

I would still have to work on something, though, even if I had enough FU money to quit my job. I've thought some about this and what I would like to start is a foundation for small business incubation. Basically, a person with a business idea would present their proposal for a loan and if it was feasible, we would fund the business for a non-controlling stake, with the proceeds to help fund more start-ups.

Personally, I would want to travel with my wife. The one other thing that I would probably indulge on are new motorcycles for me and a couple of friends to ride the Trans-America trail.
Post #1235692
Posted Friday, January 13, 2012 8:44 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 10:15 AM
hnhaney2 (1/13/2012)
http://opensourceecology.org/
This is were I go to work.

That is amazingly cool.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1235708
Posted Friday, January 13, 2012 8:45 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Monday, April 14, 2014 3:21 AM
I've never got to my FU level, but I have there are more important things than trying to get it. At the start of 2010 I dropped to half-time at my paid job so I could do IT project work for charities. This split of work is something I really value, but unless I buy a ticket I'll never win the lottery to get my FU money.

Original author: SQL Server FineBuild 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005. 25 March 2014: now over 28,000 downloads.
Disclaimer: All information provided is a personal opinion that may not match reality.
Concept: "Pizza Apartheid" - the discrimination that separates those who earn enough in one day to buy a pizza if they want one, from those who can not.
Post #1235710
Posted Friday, January 13, 2012 9:29 AM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:04 PM
I would get a nice watch and a top-end home audio system and give the rest to my kids.
Post #1235772
Posted Friday, January 13, 2012 9:45 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Today @ 8:11 AM
I hate to say this, but with FU $$ I would surely stop reading SQLServerCentral.com

Post #1235806
Posted Friday, January 13, 2012 9:55 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, April 11, 2014 7:45 AM
I would Do the following things in this order:

Pay off my bills
Buy a house where there are nice dark skies
Set up trust funds/savings/investments for my family (kids and grandkids)
Build out a really nice observatory on my new property with the ability to do astrophotography.
Travel
Fund a couple of Startup companies that I've been working on with a buddy of mine
Go back to school
Post #1235821
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse