Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Authentication mode in SQL Server Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, January 11, 2012 10:27 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, July 24, 2014 9:07 AM
Dev (1/11/2012)
If somebody can login to Application Server & read configuration files, he can delete website as well (worst scenario).

SQL Server Logins are manageable for Web Applications. Few logins (Logical Grouping based on roles) can manage overall database operation for the Web Users. I don’t find it logical to create 1000 Users / Logins in database until I have explicit Audit Requirements to track each user’s activity.

Sure, the problem is bigger if they can get to the config files, but why have the DB Exposed at all?

You don't have to create a login for every user to use Windows Authentication if you use the first option I mention. It is still basically using an application login, it is just using an AD account for the app pool instead of SQL Authentication.

You can also use AD groups to limit the # of logins you create. Then login is managed through AD groups and, if you are using least privileges, that works fine.

Jack Corbett

Applications Developer

Don't let the good be the enemy of the best. -- Paul Fleming

Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question
How to Post Performance Problems
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 1
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 2
Post #1234180
Posted Wednesday, January 11, 2012 10:28 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:24 AM
Dev (1/11/2012)
If somebody can login to Application Server & read configuration files, he can delete website as well (worst scenario).

I wouldn't count out some SQL Injection or XSS style attack here. Config files may or may not be more secure than the services configurations, but admins can't get the password from the services items. The password isn't exposed. They could read it, and give a password to someone else when it's it a config file.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1234181
Posted Wednesday, January 11, 2012 10:43 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 5:56 AM
If you are an Everything DBA (Hybrid DBA) then AD management falls in your bucket. I believe AD Management is out-of-scope to DBA roles (in general). However it’s a nice option & I am not denying it.

Dev

Devendra Shirbad | BIG Data Architect / DBA | Ex-Microsoft CSS (SQL 3T) | Open Network for Data Professionals...
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/devendrashirbad
Post #1234197
Posted Wednesday, January 11, 2012 10:50 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 5:56 AM
Also, Security Measures are based on trust model. If we can’t rely on Administrators (which we shouldn’t) of your application / database then we can’t rely on anyone.

I am aware of incidences where Admin were guilty for security breaches. But should we distrust all?

I remember a recent post in SSC where OP asked to encrypt the data from DBAs for HR modules. Funny though, it’s a valid requirement.

Dev

Devendra Shirbad | BIG Data Architect / DBA | Ex-Microsoft CSS (SQL 3T) | Open Network for Data Professionals...
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/devendrashirbad
Post #1234205
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse