Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 1234»»»

The Stubborn DBA Expand / Collapse
Author

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 2:05 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item The Stubborn DBA

Best wishes,

Phil Factor
Simple Talk
Post #1232192
Posted Sunday, January 8, 2012 11:07 PM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Monday, September 1, 2014 10:50 PM
I agree completely. It is the challenging ones that make a job interesting and therefore worthwhile. I don't think anyone enjoys the day-to-day get-this-done type of stuff.

-- Stephen Cook
Post #1232206
Posted Monday, January 9, 2012 12:04 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 1:15 AM
I also agree, spot on!

/@devandreas
Post #1232220
Posted Monday, January 9, 2012 2:55 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 6:57 AM
I completley agree, especially on "Ones usefulness to an organisation is not just based on knowledge, but on ability, through long practice, in working out how to solve problems, no matter what they are."

In some organisations, ones knowledges of the company, work processses and its structure obtained during years of IT work is often disregarded.

Especially senior IT managers/ CIO with several years under their belt in the same company might know more about the internals of the company as the GM; we are the ones in the field that have to find solutions to operational insufficiencies, its not not only the companies 'problems' we have to identify, but also translate them into a IT based solutions.

Post #1232279
Posted Monday, January 9, 2012 3:02 AM
SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Today @ 1:55 AM
You've hit the nail on the head, Phil....which is, of course, preferable to hitting the keyboard with the head.

Unfortunately, I usually have to reach the point where the metaphorical keyboard bashing becomes literal keyboard bashing before I may ask myself the slightly philosophical question of why I'm doing this.
Post #1232281
Posted Monday, January 9, 2012 3:16 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Today @ 2:43 AM
Ahh, you do have a grand way with words Mr Factor. I always find myself resembling the 'agree with everyone' guy from The Fast Show (I think - sorry for the parochial reference) when I read your stuff.

Anyhow - I think that is why I can very often look at a problem presented by a colleague and immediately see a solution. Bloomin' years of stubborn review of seemingly intractable issues. It has come hard...
Post #1232289
Posted Monday, January 9, 2012 5:24 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Friday, September 12, 2014 8:51 AM
In the vernacular of the younger generation "This is full of win!" Thank you Mr. Factor for putting it into words. (I can't count the number of times I've had to explain to folks that, "Yes, we've worked around the problem, but I still wanted to understand WHY it occurred in the first place."
Post #1232331
Posted Monday, January 9, 2012 7:18 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Today @ 8:56 AM
The way I look at it when I am trying to solve one of these problems:

You cannot let the computer win! If you do, it will start thinking it can win all the time!

Post #1232403
Posted Monday, January 9, 2012 8:02 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Sunday, July 21, 2013 11:11 AM
Ok, I have to be the first one to throw a monkey wrench into the conversation. For full disclosure, I'm not a fulltime DBA. I work in TSQL quite a bit, but also do a lot of work in other application tiers (business logic, ui).

Don't you think sometimes when getting into one of these situations it's time to step back and decide whether you are using a the wrong tool? (like a hammer when you need a screwdriver). Sometimes when things are this hard it is an indication that maybe the task should be moved to a different application tier. Solving the problem in the wrong place (not saying that's always the case or necessarily the programming case that started this discuss) just for the sake of not letting the computer win may just make the app harder to maintain over time.
Post #1232443
Posted Monday, January 9, 2012 8:55 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Tuesday, July 8, 2014 1:39 PM
Phil, I totally agree with the learning through hours of struggle belief. There is a dark side to this drive however; when I work with others, or they have worked with me it is not helpful to the "team" if instead of going on to your next assignment you spend those "hours" trying to figure out what went wrong. Yes, the answer might be important long term, but do not try to figure out why the house started on fire while the house is still burning.

<><
Livin' down on the cube farm. Left, left, then a right.
Post #1232515
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse