Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

ETL Magic with SSIS – Part I Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 11:45 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, July 1, 2014 10:09 PM
Hello Kevin,

when I have to import some unknown flat files, I change the max length of each column (string) to 8000 (see picture). After that, I can transform the data or migrate, as I need it. Now I have the possibility of a simple error handling.

Unfortunately you need here two tables - one for reading and of course the real aim ...

Post Attachments 
flatfile.jpg (7 views, 69.80 KB)
Post #1231266
Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 5:14 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, May 21, 2012 4:46 PM
Back in 2004 we looked into MS offerings in the EDI space and figured out that nothing (including BizTalk) was addressing our reliability requirements, so we started our proprietary software development and never looked back.

Out of curiosity I looked into this article and OMG, a simple case of reliable FTP download (not sure it does SFTP or uploads) is not even a part of a framework? How on Earth in the real world are you going to deal with situations when the file has not fully arrived into the source folder yet or they put it there twice by mistake simply because you already picked it up before they saw it? How are you uploading the files to (S)FTP? Does that have a chance to break your client’s EDI because they fell into the same trap?

For our software to run you can use Pentium 3 and no SQL server is required! It has agents and APIs that can be deployed to the client because some clients may be just desktop applications with no EDI capabilities. The other way for this sort of clients is sending attachments to by email.

I understand that MS needs to sell a product that is extremely configurable, but reading this article it seems like even a simple ETL is quite a lot of work and workflows. The advantage of our proprietary software is that if something has to be a part of the framework, we put it there, so over the years we ended up with an extremely robust framework. That is also a reason why we have not productised it. Instead we provide a VAN. The rationale for our clients is that they need no hardware, employees with associated costs (including compliance costs), and time to the market are days, not months!

Have a read at http://allelectronicmessages.com/B2B_Messages.aspx?r=s07
Post #1231787
Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 7:13 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 7:06 AM
I am trying to follow this and am getting an error regarding my connection string. I have set the environment variable and set the package configuration to use it but I get:

'The connection string format is not valid'

It is the same connection string that is in the properties of my connection manager so I am not sure why it doesnt like it.

Anyone else get this?

Thanks in advance...
Post #1237204
Posted Wednesday, January 25, 2012 7:32 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, April 16, 2012 1:27 AM
Thank you very much for the wonderful article.

I am able to download and installed the File Watcher Task successfully but when I clicked the ellipsis path button in the file watcher task to take me to where my file is located, then I get the following error:

Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Data TransformationServices.Design, version=9.0.242.0, Culture=nuetral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91' or one of its dependences.

The located assemply's manifest defination does not match the assembly reference.

(Exception from HRESULT:ox8013040)

Any help how to resolve this problem or is there any other task I can use as a replace?

Thanks

Post #1241886
Posted Wednesday, January 25, 2012 7:37 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, April 16, 2012 1:27 AM
Thanks a lot for the such a wonderful article.
I am able to download and installed the File Watcher Task successfully but when I clicked the ellipsis path button in the file watcher task to take me to where my file is located then I get the following error:

Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Data TransformationServices.Design, version=9.0.242.0, Culture=nuetral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91' or one of its dependences.

The located assemply's manifest defination does not match the assembly reference.

(Exception from HRESULT:ox8013040)

Any help how to resolve this problem or is there any other task I can use instead of the File Watcher Task?

Thanks

Post #1241888
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse