Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

How view will help in performance and how can i identify tempdb is full Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, December 29, 2011 10:49 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, December 3, 2012 4:32 AM
Hi,

what is the main advantage of view.? How view will help in performance. consider i have the some complex select query and i am running that in sql server and it is taking lot of time. In this case if i use view, how it will affect? whether the time taken by select query will reduce?

regards,
vaithilingam.k
Post #1228176
Posted Friday, December 30, 2011 1:24 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, December 30, 2011 4:25 AM
View is mainly used for encapsulation, that is, hiding the complexity. In terms of performance, It will not help you a lot. For that, you need to go with " indexed views "
Post #1228192
Posted Friday, December 30, 2011 2:19 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Today @ 1:48 PM
vaithi.saran846 (12/29/2011)
Hi,

what is the main advantage of view.? How view will help in performance. consider i have the some complex select query and i am running that in sql server and it is taking lot of time. In this case if i use view, how it will affect? whether the time taken by select query will reduce?

regards,
vaithilingam.k

If you're having problems with the performance of a complex query, why not post the query and the actual execution plan? Chances are, folks here will make suggestions to improve performance - and you are very likely to learn something useful too.

Low-hanging fruit picker and defender of the moggies

For better assistance in answering your questions, please read this.

Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White

Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden
Post #1228200
Posted Friday, December 30, 2011 2:22 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Monday, December 3, 2012 4:32 AM
Hi

I got the things about view. But what about the tempdb details. How can i identify whether the tempdb is full or not?
Post #1228202
Posted Friday, December 30, 2011 2:44 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 3:13 PM
Are those questions part of an interview?

Lutz
A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question
How to post performance related questions
Links for Tally Table , Cross Tabs and Dynamic Cross Tabs , Delimited Split Function
Post #1228212
Posted Friday, December 30, 2011 2:49 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, December 30, 2011 4:25 AM
Hi,
Here you go:

use tempdb
select name,(size*8)/1024 as Current_Size_MB,(max_size*8)/1024 as Total_Size_MB from sys.database_files
Post #1228217
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse