Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

An Introduction to Integration Services log providers Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, December 28, 2011 10:36 PM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 8:27 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item An Introduction to Integration Services log providers
Post #1227642
Posted Wednesday, December 28, 2011 10:37 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, May 07, 2013 5:37 PM
Good intro about logging in SSIS. Keep them coming. Your articles are very good for beginners like me in SSIS.
Thanks.
Post #1227644
Posted Thursday, December 29, 2011 1:46 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Thursday, January 31, 2013 1:50 PM
For more information about events logged by SSIS packages the Integration Services Service, see these BOL topics, Understanding Events Logged by an Integration Services Package, Understanding Events Logged by the Integration Services Service

You can use the SSIS Log Analyzer to analyze complex and verbose SSIS logs. For a demo, see the SSIS Log Analyzer (SQL Server Video).

Post #1228064
Posted Thursday, December 29, 2011 1:58 PM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Thanks!
Post #1228072
Posted Friday, December 30, 2011 10:07 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 5:57 PM
I have always been using either SQL Server or text file logging with SSIS, since they are easy to review. Could you comment on potential usages (advantages/disadvantages) of some of the other types of logging, which seem a bit more "exotic", such as trace file or XML?

Thank you for the article!

Post #1228483
Posted Friday, December 30, 2011 10:36 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

I decided to explore SSIS logging because I wanted to be able to insert custom data into the logging stream, specifically the date/time stamp of data files processed by SSIS packages.

One of the criticisms that I had received from my previous article

Copy-and-Paste SSIS Execution Monitoring with Failure-Alert Email

was that SSIS logging provided everything already and I should learn it rather than reinvent the wheel.

All five of the SSIS logging outputs contain the same exact data. My guess is that there are custom clients that can read and display each type of log output. For all practical purposes it doesn't matter which one you use. The text file is the easiest to use because you can just open it in notepad. Another approach would be to write an SSRS report to view the sys.sysssislog table.

I still don't think you can store the file timestamp in the SSIS logging stream, which is very useful information if there is a possibility that your job might reprocess a file from the previous day if a new one hasn't replaced it.
Post #1228491
Posted Thursday, January 05, 2012 1:33 PM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, April 03, 2014 12:46 PM
will this run when a SSIS package runs as a job?

at the start of every year i try to increase the amount of logging and reporting we have to make life easier

https://plus.google.com/100125998302068852885/posts?hl=en
http://twitter.com/alent1234
x-box live gamertag: i am null
[url=http://live.xbox.com/en-US/MyXbox/Profile[/url]
Post #1231117
Posted Thursday, January 05, 2012 1:54 PM

SSC-Enthusiastic

The whole idea is that the logging occurs whenever the package runs.

The only catch is you have to add logging to each SSIS package individually.

Only the packages that you have added it to will log their execution.

Crazy, I know, but that goes along with the fact that you can't write global functions that all your SSIS packages can use.

Each of your SSIS packages is an island unto itself.
Post #1231129
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse