Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Christmas Fun Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Saturday, December 24, 2011 2:28 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:12 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Christmas Fun

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1226498
Posted Sunday, December 25, 2011 2:25 AM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, November 20, 2014 7:53 PM
Interesting - I cheated, obviously, and found there are nine, but it appears eight is also right:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Claus%27s_reindeer

Paul White
SQL Server MVP
SQLblog.com
@SQL_Kiwi
Post #1226534
Posted Sunday, December 25, 2011 6:46 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Monday, October 13, 2014 8:02 AM
interesting your post Paul!!!!

rfr.ferrari
DBA - SQL Server 2008
MCITP | MCTS

remember is live or suffer twice!
Post #1226559
Posted Sunday, December 25, 2011 6:49 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:18 PM
Woot woot - Merry Christmas all.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Post #1226560
Posted Sunday, December 25, 2011 8:17 AM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Monday, September 29, 2014 10:57 PM
Merry Christmas, Ho Ho Ho!

For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

For better answers on performance questions, click on the following...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

Post #1226565
Posted Sunday, December 25, 2011 8:29 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 3:47 AM
Quite a difficult question.

The famous poem that begins "Twas the night before Christmas" (it's not called that - I can't remember its proper title, or who wrote it) has 8 reindeer. That's where the idea that Santa delivers presents on Cristmas Eve in a sled pulled by reindeer came from; and it's probably the most famous of all American poems. I hit that one at school when I was about 8, and learned all 8 names (which I've now forgotten, but remember there were 8)

Frank Baum's version, about three quarters of a century later, had Santa start with just 2 reindeer and acquire 8 more, so in that version there are 10 reindeer. I read that (borrowed it from local library) when I was temporarily hooked on Baum after seeing "The Wizard of Oz" at the cinema - but had to look it up to check now as I couldn't remember what the reindeers in it were called (so I couldn't count the names) or how many there were.

Then there was the Rudolph version, which originated a few decades after Baum's version, as a little story book made to be a Santa present in a department store chain, which had 9 reindeer. That of course had commercial clout, because it was owned by a fairly big retailer; and it acquired further commercial clout a decade later when Gene Autry sang a song written by a relative of the Rudolph story and roughly based on it, which rapidly hit the number 1 spot in America (it was pretty well known in the UK too - the Christmas when I was 5 years old I heard it many times) and was one of the highest selling titles ever in the USA - it only lost that distinction when Americans became sufficiently rich to buy many songs in that sort of quantity, which was not until about another 3 decades later on. I found it very odd that the singing cowboy should sing about a red nosed reindeer, but I guess that was just because I was young enough not to separate actors from roles. I remember that when Rudolph led the sleigh he was an extra added to the original 8, so that makes 9 altogether.

There are certainly other versons too - but I don't know anything about them. However, given that 8, 9 and 10 are all possible answers I suspect that 11 and 14 are too.

So the answer could be any of the numbers listed as options: 1000, 1001, 1110, 1011. And one has to work out on some basis which of these numbers should be chosen.

Historically the right answer seems to be 8; but as Frank Baum's books were extremely popular with American children (although perhaps his Santa story was less popular than the Oz books) maybe children would think of 10, but that wasn't one of teh options; and finally, as SQLServerCentral is culturally an American site, and American culture sometimes appears to be driven by the power of money, it might be a safe bet that choosing the one with the commercial clout will get the points.

So I picked 9. But I think people who answered 8 should get the points too.

Tom
Post #1226566
Posted Sunday, December 25, 2011 8:30 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Thursday, November 6, 2014 1:00 PM
SQL Kiwi (12/25/2011)
Interesting - I cheated, obviously, and found there are nine, but it appears eight is also right:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Claus%27s_reindeer

Add to the above
http://www.battlecreekenquirer.com/article/20111225/OPINION02/112250319
in late 1939, when the original story of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer was written for Montgomery Ward, by Robert L. May.

An advertising gimix - sorry to say but traditionally it was and to many of us still 8 ... that is EIGHT

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read

Before posting a performance problem please read
Post #1226567
Posted Sunday, December 25, 2011 11:24 AM
SSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:11 AM
You need to be able to get inside Steves mind for these questions!

Remember, 7 points should not be too easy to get, and steve has an wicked streak!

Happy christmas!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Post #1226572
Posted Sunday, December 25, 2011 11:30 PM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Friday, October 24, 2014 12:43 PM
A suggestion: Steve, when you re-post this question, assign it 9 points.
Post #1226607
Posted Sunday, December 25, 2011 11:43 PM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:09 PM
I got it from this link.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_the_names_of_Santa%27s_reindeer&isLookUp=1#Q=What%20are%20the%20names%20of%20Santa%27s%20reindeer

Malleswarareddy
I.T.Analyst
MCITP(70-451)
Post #1226612
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse