Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

People That Get It Done Expand / Collapse
Author
SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 12:52 PM
Oh, and to answer Andy's question, YES, I'm a "get it done" employee, and my boss know it. At least, all indications are that several levels of management know that, because if it's on fire, it will likely land on my desk. And regardless of whether it's in my area or not, I'll figure out a way to either fix it, or get it in the hands of those who can fix it.

Knowing who to pull into a team to resolve a cross-functional issue is a handy skill to have...

Here there be dragons...,

Steph Brown
Post #1223199
Posted Friday, December 16, 2011 10:11 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 2:03 PM
Someone once complained to my boss about my personaility, and my bosses very quick response to that person was " I didn't hire Travis to win a personality contest here, I hired him because he is my "go to" guy and he keeps my multi-million dollar databases running smooth all the time. Anything else you need to discuss today?" Enough said. There are people who watch and complain and people who get stuff done. Where I work we have what is called the 20/80 rule. That is, 20% of the people are doing 80% of the work, while 80% of the people are setting around shooting the breeze, surfing the Internet, starting trouble, and being concerned with what other people's personalities are. Believe me, management is wise to them.

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ..."
Post #1223225
Posted Friday, December 16, 2011 11:31 AM
Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Last Login: Friday, August 29, 2014 11:17 AM
As working professionals, we should possess most, if not all, of the attributes referenced in the editorial. Unfortunately, in today's world that's just not the case.

I work in the public sector, and in our shop we've got some older employees that are nearing retirement age that regularly refuse to accept work assignements claiming they don't have the proper skillset, even after they've received thousands of dollars in training. These same employees rarely take initiative to better themselves, yet have no problem with receiving a programmer's rate of pay when pay day rolls around.

I made the mistake of complaining too loudly about a fellow employee that spent the majority of his time surfing the internet, reading the news paper and staring at the walls of his office, while i received most of the challenging work assignements, and actually received a reprimand from H.R. The sad thing is that these individuals are costing this origanization thousands of dollars every year when we already have financial issues, yet the managers take no initiative themselves to address these issues. Welcome to life in the sublic sector...

Post #1223260
Posted Friday, December 16, 2011 11:50 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Wednesday, June 11, 2014 9:47 AM
There is difference between "make is happen" and "MAKE IT HAPPEN". A manager that is trusting you to do your job and is encouraging OR is there to just to make his next bonus.

The doers do become the managers over time (which is a shame as one should be keeping the job he's good in) .
Post #1223273
Posted Friday, December 16, 2011 12:27 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:46 PM
mojootti (12/16/2011)
There is difference between "make is happen" and "MAKE IT HAPPEN". A manager that is trusting you to do your job and is encouraging OR is there to just to make his next bonus.

The doers do become the managers over time (which is a shame as one should be keeping the job he's good in) .

Peter Principle in action.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions | Forum Netiquette
For index/tuning help, follow these directions. |Tally Tables

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA
Post #1223293
Posted Friday, December 16, 2011 1:07 PM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 2:03 PM
Mad Hacker (12/16/2011)
The sad thing is that these individuals are costing this origanization thousands of dollars every year when we already have financial issues, yet the managers take no initiative themselves to address these issues. Welcome to life in the sublic sector...

No, welcome to world of "being scared to death of a lawsuit." It has literally paralyzed many organizations today. not to mention our government sectors. Sad but true, and people wondering why no one is buying American made products anymore, the unions and the lawsuits are driving their costs through the roof, meanwhile they have to put up with the deadwood because they are scared to death to fire them. So people starting buying everything from China, or export the jobs to there or India. It's a trickle down effect.

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ..."
Post #1223317
Posted Friday, December 16, 2011 8:01 PM
SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 12:52 PM
TravisDBA (12/16/2011)... welcome to world of "being scared to death of a lawsuit." ... the unions and the lawsuits are driving their costs through the roof, meanwhile they have to put up with the deadwood ...

I have to disagree; I've not noticed union workers to be any more likely to "sluff off" than exempt workers, supervisors, or managers. In my experience, most managers do not know how to document a poorly-performing employee. Or work with one to improve their performance either. Sad in both cases.

I've experienced both having to deal with co-workers who refused to perform even their regular job duties, and having managers who tried to hold me to a different standard than my co-workers and team mates (not a Higher standard, mind you, just a different one). In all cases, these were resolved by appropriate action at the manager and the Human Resources level. I'm very good at documenting the realities of a situation - to the benefit of one manager, and the re-training of another (not sure how much they appreciated it at the time, but probably saved them a lawsuit later in life by nipping it in the bud, so to speak).

Proper documentation will head off most of the "frivolous" lawsuits - and that includes documenting the frustrations of an employees co-workers. Treating all employees with respect and fairness to start with will head off even more.

More companies ought to try that second one; it would save a lot of money in turnover rates - and THOSE carry a hefty price tag.

Here there be dragons...,

Steph Brown
Post #1223408
Posted Saturday, December 17, 2011 6:19 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: Moderators
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 2:30 PM
Paul, yes, I do have a lawn guy, sort of - he cuts my grass once a week!

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Post #1223468
Posted Saturday, December 17, 2011 6:23 AM
SSCertifiable

Group: Moderators
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 2:30 PM
The point about rewarding those that get it done is well taken. I'll admin to valueing the trait but also probably too much expecting it and not doing enough about those that don't get it done. No team will have all superstars. I think the one thing that the get it doners get is the chance to do the interesting stuff. Yes, that could be manager speak for the hard stuff, but it's also usually the stuff that builds skills and careers.

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Post #1223470
Posted Saturday, December 17, 2011 11:13 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:18 PM
I absolutely agree with taking ownership of a problem. However...

The problem is that "people that make it happen" frequently aren't the "people that make it happen right". The article hints at that by talking a bit about people identifying when a project schedule is in jeapordy but I've found very few people that will actually bring up even important problems if they think it will be perceived as them causing a schedule problem. Because of that, the 4 things that suffer the most are proper design, performance/scalability, the amount of rework required, and readability/ease of modification of code which, of course, includes some embedded documentation.

As a side bar, there lately seems to be a rash of articles on this site about the general topic of people getting things done and meeting schedules. Nothing about getting things done right... nothing about the ridiculous expectations of some managers... nothing about ridiculously complex projects with short timelines spawned during a shared ride in an elevator... nothing about not killing the messenger... nothing about how where if you want it real bad, that's the way you'll normally get it... and nothing about the costs of rework because people were too busy getting it done instead of getting it done right.

Let's see something about the other side of the story and the real costs of putting something out that's bad simply because people rushed to meet a ridiculous schedule. Let's see something that talks about the real costs of rework and putting something wrong or non-scalable into the customers hands. Let's see something about the real costs of losing inhouse experts to another company because some manager is making promises to look good that his/her team has no chance of doing correctly and still meeting schedule without working 12 or 16 hours a day.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1223499
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse