Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««123

Variant Order 3 Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, December 13, 2011 12:41 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, September 17, 2014 1:05 AM
L' Eomot Inversé (12/12/2011)

What's the most important use of SQL_VARIANT order? Well, in my experience its main use is in generating T-SQL trivia questions for use as QotD - we've had 5 since 1st November (1 from Paul, 1 from bitbucket, and 3 from me).

True, true

Best Regards,
Chris Büttner
Post #1220632
Posted Tuesday, December 13, 2011 12:48 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Wednesday, September 17, 2014 1:05 AM
john.arnott (12/12/2011)
So nearly two-thirds of respondants so far are smarter than I. They wouldn't have just run the code and clicked the corresponding option now, would they?

Well, you can assume that noone knew the answer before running the code.
I for myself decided pretty quickly that I do not know the answer (by heart), and that learning the correct answer from BOL or other sources will not advance my SQL skills significantly. So I decided to shortcut by running the code directly.
And no, I usually dont short-cut, only in such special occasions.

Hope this does not disappoint you.

Best Regards,
Chris Büttner
Post #1220637
Posted Tuesday, December 13, 2011 5:26 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 6:27 AM
good question tom!!!!
thanks!!!!

rfr.ferrari
DBA - SQL Server 2008
MCITP | MCTS

remember is live or suffer twice!
Post #1220787
Posted Tuesday, December 13, 2011 9:10 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, August 28, 2014 8:53 PM
Christian Buettner-167247 (12/13/2011)
john.arnott (12/12/2011)
So nearly two-thirds of respondants so far are smarter than I. They wouldn't have just run the code and clicked the corresponding option now, would they?

Well, you can assume that noone knew the answer before running the code.
I for myself decided pretty quickly that I do not know the answer (by heart), and that learning the correct answer from BOL or other sources will not advance my SQL skills significantly. So I decided to shortcut by running the code directly.
And no, I usually dont short-cut, only in such special occasions.

Hope this does not disappoint you.

Not at all. Rather, I'm kicking myself for spending so much time trying to track down the answer when I knew that Tom would have it for me.
Post #1220990
Posted Tuesday, December 13, 2011 2:16 PM
Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Last Login: Monday, April 7, 2014 11:41 AM
WHAT?!?!?? you mean that people run the code then take credit for the answer? I guess I don't have to feel guilty when I google the QOTD any more.
Post #1221211
Posted Tuesday, December 13, 2011 7:58 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 4:57 PM
Uripedes Pants (12/13/2011)

I'm going completely off topic:

With someone using that nickname (and this late at night, with perhaps too many jars downed in the course a minor celebration) I just can't resist asking Γιατί ο Ευριπίδης ασθμαίνω? Using Greek when asking someone using Euripides as a nickname seems appropriate, even if my Greek is that bad.

And that led to an increase of my distrust in modern machine translators (they seem worse than what Siemens had about 20 years ago).

My Greek is extremely limited, not quite totally nonexistent but extremely close to that (closer than you probably think - anyway, I hadn't a clue what the Greek for "pants" - in any of its meanings - might be) so I tried an automatic translation first; it insisted on using σώβρακο or παντελόνι and the second option of those options made me suspicious; and a quick dictionary check indicated that the first option was no better. Although I trust Google translate not one jot, I tried that next - and got Γιατί είναι ότι ο Ευριπίδης παντελόνι, which is absolute pants; then I tried asking google translate to translate "Pourquoi Euripide halète-t-il ?" to Greek, and got those παντελόνι again (in "Γιατί ο Ευριπίδης παντελόνι εκεί", which to me suggests that it does some of its French to Greek by translating French to English and then English to Greek, because as well as "pants" the Google English translation for that phrase has a spurious "there" in it, which is maybe where that spurious "εκεί" in the Greek comes from).

Since I am totally unable to conjugate Greek verbs and the machine translators failed me and my beginners modern greek text book is more than a thousand miles away (and it would probably take me several hours to find it even if I was there - it's years since I decided ancient and modern Greek were two languages too many) I ended up with the above words as my attempt at asking the obvious question, but I guess anyone calling himself Euripedes should be able to make sense out of my utterly awful Greek.

I have a niggling suspicion that the machine translations - even Google's - conformed to the intent of the nickname, unless perhaps that particular metaphor is not used in Greek. But what I asked them to translate was using "pant" as a verb, and translating something which syntactically has to be a verb as if it were an unrelated noun was a gross failure of the machine translators (and Google's screw-up translating from French was a total failure, since there's no way "halète" can bear that meaning).

Tom
Post #1221302
Posted Wednesday, December 14, 2011 1:10 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 4:48 PM
(still off-topic)

Tom, I fooled around a bit with both Bing Translator and Google Translate, and I am convinced that they both suffer from the same bug, introduced by a combination of using English as an intermediate language and not looking at words in their grammatical context.
I tried to translate the sentences "Euripides hijgt" and "Waarom hijgt Euripides?" to Greek, and got the παντελόνι translation for both variations and on both sites.

I then tried "Waarom is Euripides aan het hijgen?" (Dutch for "Why is Euripides panting?"). Bing Translator gave me the utterly unhelpful "Γιατί είναι Ευριπίδη, για να το panting;", but Google Translate seems to do better here: "Γιατί είναι ο Ευριπίδης να λαχανιάζω;". Translating the latter back to Dutch on Bing Translator was truly hilarious - the result was "Waarom is Euripides aan bladerdeeg?" (Why is Euripides on puff pastry?). My guess is that the translation was again indirect, that λαχανιάζω was translated as puff rather than pant, and that the word puff was utterly misunderstood for the second phase (English to Dutch) of the translation.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
Post #1221425
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««123

Permissions Expand / Collapse