Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Wjat would be a good supplmental skill to SQL server Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Sunday, December 11, 2011 11:43 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 5:36 PM
Jeff Moden (12/11/2011)
bitbucket-25253 (12/10/2011)
If you are not completely committed to IT .. and I mean COMPLETELY, then I would suggest taking a college or graduate school course leading to a degree, and/or a Masters Degree in Business Managment. My reasoning .. compare your highest paying IT non-management position, to that of a Department / Division manager of almost any company, and do not stop there go on up the chain of command. The logical thinking that you must have to be successful in the IT world will come in very handy in the business world at markedly higher salaries / benefits / perks.

For a specific example of what I mean. Picture yourself requesting additional funding, say for additional servers, who makes the decision as to wether or not you get the funding ? I'll bet that is a business manager, making a higher salary than that of highest hands on DBA / Developer / Web programmer / etc.

Oddly enough, some of us make more than our bosses.

Jeff there are very, very, very few that have your knowledge and willingness to work the hours you do ,, and for that I admire you and YES YOU DESERVE MORE PAY THAN YOUR BOSS .. FOR SURE

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read

Before posting a performance problem please read
Post #1219945
Posted Sunday, December 11, 2011 12:40 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 9:58 AM
Heh... didn't mean to turn it into a "me" post. I actually know quite a few folks that make more than their bosses.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1219946
Posted Tuesday, December 20, 2011 1:12 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 1:50 AM
george sibbald (12/10/2011)

anything on the BI side - SSIS, SSRS, SSAS

Second this one. If you are well versed in the BI suite, the number of possible positions for you doubles.
Also, it wouldn't hurt to know some .NET. If you use SSIS, it is handy from time to time.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1224214
Posted Wednesday, December 21, 2011 6:58 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Friday, August 29, 2014 2:15 PM
I would suggest data security. If you combine that with advanced database management skills, you would become very valuable.
Post #1225088
Posted Monday, January 16, 2012 4:55 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 10:52 PM
SSAS--SQL Server 2005 Analysis Services
SSIS--SQL Server 2005 Integration Services
SSRS--SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services

I think these 3 things will be a good supplement for your career as a database administrator.

resume writing | examples of resumes
Post #1236511
Posted Monday, January 16, 2012 8:33 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 6:14 AM
Whcih you would rate higher ( in terms of career growth and market trend):--

1) ASP.NET with SQL SERVER
2) BI with SQL SERVER

Regards,
Skybvi
Post #1236651
Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 3:46 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 10:52 PM
1) ASP.NET with SQL SERVER
I think this option will increase your exposure to Programming skills and latest internet and web developing technology. It will bring opportunity to work in both front end as well as back end.

2) BI with SQL SERVER
Real-time BI disseminates information about a business in a range from milliseconds to a few seconds after the business event.
Over the coming years, business intelligence will undergo transformation that will have a broad and lasting impact. It will revolutionize the way that we think about business and the way business decisions are made.

After reading much about BI, I would rate BI with SQL SERVER higher than the other.
with asp.net, you are diverting career to web programming.

resume writing | examples of resumes
Post #1237075
Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 4:21 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Wednesday, February 1, 2012 3:57 AM
BI with SQL server admistration would obviously value add to the skillset .
Post #1237088
Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 2:49 PM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Sunday, August 24, 2014 1:22 PM
SQL Server, et al, and SAN administration, Systems Administration, Network Administration.

LC
Post #1237550
Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 6:02 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 9:58 AM
Let's go all the way back to the beginning on this because I'm actually quite curious about this. What, exactly, is meant by the following snippet from the original post?

lkokeunda (12/10/2011)
If you have some level of proficiency in administration, and t-sql programming, what would be a good supplemental skill that you can consider learning to make yourself more marketable?

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1237595
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse