Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Does rebuilding a clustered index effect non clustered index. Expand / Collapse
Author
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 1:35 AM
http://sqlskills.com/BLOGS/PAUL/post/Search-Engine-QA-19-Misconceptions-around-index-rebuilds-(allocation-BULK_LOGGED-mode-locking).aspx

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Post #1215383
Posted Friday, December 2, 2011 8:14 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 8:33 AM
Elliott Whitlow (12/2/2011)
I think we are going to have to agree to disagree as far as SQL 2000 is concerned, I am 99.999% sure I can show that it does it even for unique clustered indexes in SQL 2000.

http://sqlskills.com/BLOGS/PAUL/post/Search-Engine-QA-19-Misconceptions-around-index-rebuilds-(allocation-BULK_LOGGED-mode-locking).aspx

In 2000:
Rebuilding a non-unique clustered index WILL rebuild the non-clustered indexes
Rebuilding a unique clustered index will NOT rebuild the non-clustered indexes

The first few service packs of 2000 had bugs that changed the behavior of rebuilding unique clustered indexes back and forth - this is the source of much of the confusion around this myth.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc966523.aspx

If you rebuild indexes for an entire table, you will need enough free space to build the clustered index and all nonclustered indexes. Similarly, if you rebuild a nonunique clustered index, you will also need free space for both the clustered and any nonclustered indexes. The nonclustered indexes are implicitly rebuilt because SQL Server must generate new unique identifiers for the rows.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1215384
Posted Friday, December 2, 2011 8:18 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

oh yes.... a point to me I do believe

Post #1215387
Posted Friday, December 2, 2011 8:21 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 8:33 AM
george sibbald (12/2/2011)
oh yes.... a point to me I do believe

1/4 of a point, since your post is 1/4 of mine.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1215391
Posted Friday, December 2, 2011 8:25 AM
SSCertifiable

1/2 each - final offer.

Post #1215398
Posted Friday, December 2, 2011 9:06 AM

SSCertifiable

Last Login: Thursday, October 9, 2014 1:02 PM
The line that I am most interested in is:
"The first few service packs of 2000 had bugs that changed the behavior of rebuilding unique clustered indexes back and forth - this is the source of much of the confusion around this myth."

I have seen with my own eyes the non-clustered indexes rebuilt during a DBCC DBREINDEX, it said it was rebuilding them. I'm guessing that it was during one of these back and forths that so clearly comes to mind.. And is the source of my confusion, its hard to agree with something when personal experience utterly contradicts what is being said. As for SQL 2005+ I have no issues..

CEWII
Post #1215463
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse