Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Mind mapping software - How it can help the DBA Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, December 1, 2011 10:49 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, October 19, 2014 11:34 AM
This is excellent! The wheels in my brain immediately started turning while reading this article. Thanks for sharing.
Post #1214833
Posted Thursday, December 1, 2011 11:34 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 8:47 AM
amazing how smart i feel when i discover something i knew nothing about previously!

Like others have noted, this looks like a very useful tool!

Thanks!

Lowell

--There is no spoon, and there's no default ORDER BY in sql server either.
Actually, Common Sense is so rare, it should be considered a Superpower. --my son
Post #1214878
Posted Thursday, December 1, 2011 12:21 PM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 7:39 AM
Thank you so much!
I'm starting on a data cleanup task (which will lead to table structure cleanup in the future, I hope) on a production database. Well, starting in the development environment, now that we have one (that was step 1....).

I needed a good tool to track the flow and add notes (like code I used in certain clean up situations, or exceptions that I found that need to be followed through to production).

I read this article today and downloaded/installed FreePlane - so far, it's great! All my notes in one place, organized by flow - but I don't need to scroll through pages and pages to find anything.
Post #1214911
Posted Thursday, December 1, 2011 12:55 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Monday, December 9, 2013 10:12 AM
Wow! Great article David! Yeah, the visual aspect of a mind map is really powerful. I only discovered mind mapping last year (wish someone would've shared it with me in my early days of developing; would've saved me countless hours of re-work).

I use SmartDraw (http://www.smartdraw.com/training/how-to/mindmaps/). I'm one of those people that prefer keyboard shortcuts (i.e. ctrl-c, ctrl-v) and really like how quickly I can document our brainstorming sessions with the keyboard shortcuts in SmartDraw. And being able to quickly transform and distribute the mind maps as gantt charts to my team is a huge time-saver.

Post #1214928
Posted Friday, December 2, 2011 12:09 PM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:19 AM
I'm going to have to look into this more. I've read about Mind Maps and dabbled in them, but I think this could really help me tackle (or at least organize) some of the problems I've been trying to finish. I'd be interested in more articles about this and how to use it effectively in the DB area of life.

Post #1215652
Posted Friday, December 2, 2011 7:58 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Tuesday, July 1, 2014 7:22 AM
Thanks for the post David. I had explored Mind Mapping a couple of years ago but was turned off by the web based version I was looking into. I couldn't deal with the inability to save my work and the lack of flexibility in doing what I want. I read your article yesterday morning. It re-sparked my interest so I downloaded xMind and have used it throughout yesterday and today. It's exactly what I've been looking for. I've been using a combination of apps I wrote along with spreadsheets and word docs to keep my projects organized. The flexibility of xMind along with how versatile it is with regard to... hyperlinks, structure & view changes, notes, drill downs.. and so much more. So far this looks like it will help me enormously. Thanks again for the post.
Bob.
Post #1215758
Posted Monday, December 5, 2011 1:30 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 7:50 AM
My son introduced me to mind mapping when he was taught it at school at the age of 8 or 9 (mid 1990's) as a study aid and I've used it quite often since. Visio includes the ability to draw the diagrams but a pen and paper is still my favourite "thinking" tool for the first draft.
Post #1216096
Posted Monday, December 5, 2011 7:52 AM

Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Friday, October 3, 2014 8:07 AM
I mapped my mind and I was surprised to discover that it only had two branches: "Sex" and "Donuts".

What I lack in youth, I make up for in immaturity!
Post #1216317
Posted Tuesday, December 6, 2011 8:45 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, December 20, 2011 9:40 AM
I've found benefit using the Mind Mapping software, and I've found it to be a great communication tool when working with global colleagues and partners.

The challenge is that the same file structure is used to store the mind maps - <some folder> \ <some mind map>. After creating a few dozen mind maps, I find the brainstorming capabilities start to get bogged down in trying to keep track of the maps.

Has anyone found a tool that might address this challenge, keeping in my mind Sharepoint and other large collaboration tools are too expensive?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Post #1217158
Posted Tuesday, December 6, 2011 10:34 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 12:50 PM
collins.jmj (12/6/2011)

The challenge is that the same file structure is used to store the mind maps - <some folder> \ <some mind map>. After creating a few dozen mind maps, I find the brainstorming capabilities start to get bogged down in trying to keep track of the maps.

Has anyone found a tool that might address this challenge, keeping in my mind Sharepoint and other large collaboration tools are too expensive?

I think you have run into a fundamental problem with information management and communication.

The easy bit is creating the content.
The hard part is creating an easily maintained, understood and used library system for that information.

I am not being facetious when I suggest a database might provide a solution. There is a lot of skill in designing the taxonomy, structure and metadata for information artefacts of which mind maps are just one.

I've toyed with the idea of the SQL2008 remote blob store to help build something light and simple but at this stage it is just an idea. I have considered keeping suitable metadata in tables and putting full-text indices over the top of them but I feel that full-text indices are a bit limit in their capability. They don't really allow phonetic searching which would really boost their applicable uses.

LinkedIn Profile
Newbie on www.simple-talk.com
Post #1217279
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse