Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Variant order 1 Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, November 30, 2011 3:25 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 1:37 PM
Good question. Thanks, Tom! ;)

To me, it was immediately obvious that the v3=v2 / v2=v3 error was a mistake made when entering the question and not a deliberate trick.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
Post #1213778
Posted Wednesday, November 30, 2011 3:35 AM
SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Today @ 1:26 AM
While not exactly a comment on the outcome of this question, I do wonder whether people out there actually use variants. I never have, and also don't see the case for them.
The QotD seems increasingly to have very "clever" questions about T-SQL behaviour that are most esoteric and have little bearing on my day to day use of the language.
Or maybe I'm just weird
Post #1213781
Posted Wednesday, November 30, 2011 3:42 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Friday, August 29, 2014 10:20 AM
Hugo Kornelis (11/30/2011)
To me, it was immediately obvious that the v3=v2 / v2=v3 error was a mistake made when entering the question and not a deliberate trick.

Same here, but that was largely because I've followed Tom's comments on these forums for a while and didn't think he'd resort to trick questions
Post #1213784
Posted Wednesday, November 30, 2011 3:54 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 1:37 PM
Toreador (11/30/2011)
Hugo Kornelis (11/30/2011)

Same here, but that was largely because I've followed Tom's comments on these forums for a while and didn't think he'd resort to trick questions

True that. Would the question have come from someone I didn't know yet, I would have picked the same answer, but with less confidence in the outcome. It is a sad fact that some of the questions submitted to the QotD are indeed trick questions.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
Post #1213792
Posted Wednesday, November 30, 2011 4:22 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Friday, September 12, 2014 12:10 AM
Good question thanks Tom. Made learn more about sql_variant comparisons.
Got the answer wrong though as thought it was a trick question too.
Post #1213808
Posted Wednesday, November 30, 2011 5:22 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Thursday, August 21, 2014 6:44 AM
I never even noticed the typo, my brain just equated "v3=v2" to "v2=v3" and saw them as the same thing.
Guess it's a good job I'm tired

Post #1213843
Posted Wednesday, November 30, 2011 5:40 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Thursday, September 18, 2014 10:35 AM
Good question, excellent explanation. Now please explain:

Crois-tu qu'on s'enivre pour s'amuser? Etre ivrogne ce n'est pas une sinécure... Si tu savais l'attention et la persévérance qu'il faut! Toujours à remplir des verres et à les vider. On vous prend pour un riche oisif, en fait c'est un travail de plongeur.

I was curious when I saw "plonguer", even though I don't speak French. (German, Greek, and Spanish, but no French) The word caught my eye because, in my misspent youth, I read "Down and Out in Paris and London", where, I believe, Orwell was a "plonguer" - the lowest of the low - a dishwasher. Or, am I fooled by a similar word? (The rest of the sig line I was able to translate using an online translator. But, it translated "plonguer" to "diver", which didn't seem to fit the context.)

Later: Duh, must be a slang use of the word for diver in reference to diving into the sink after dishes! Too literal this morning.

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
Connect to me on LinkedIn
Post #1213850
Posted Wednesday, November 30, 2011 5:44 AM

SSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 8:38 AM
stupid erroneous repsonse to comment. edited away.

Tom
Post #1213852
Posted Wednesday, November 30, 2011 5:48 AM

SSCertifiable

stupid erroneous response edited out.

Tom
Post #1213855
Posted Wednesday, November 30, 2011 5:51 AM

SSCertifiable

erroneous post

Tom
Post #1213859
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse