Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

IT staff would rather pocket $100k than blast off into space Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 12:52 AM
Eric M Russell (11/18/2011)
Ninja's_RGR'us (11/18/2011)
SPACE, anytime.

100K is easy-ish to come buy with more work. Space is another story and not enough of a motivator to work towards for that long (for me atm anyways).

Dave Ramsey would frame the question this way: "Given your current financial circumstances, would spend $100,000 of your savings to go on on a space shuttle ride?".
I'd personally take the money. We could probably buy a ticket on a similar space shuttle ten years down the road for $20,000.

Who's that Ramsey guy?

My parents always pinched pennies and worked like dogs. Now barely retired, having paid off the house a couple weeks ago, they both can't drive, go on trips and my father is <possibly> on his death bed.

I agree that saving is not optional, but at some point you got to freaking enjoy life!
Post #1208364
Posted Friday, November 18, 2011 7:47 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:00 AM
Eric M Russell (11/18/2011)
SPACE, anytime.

100K is easy-ish to come buy with more work. Space is another story and not enough of a motivator to work towards for that long (for me atm anyways).

Dave Ramsey would frame the question this way: "Given your current financial circumstances, would spend $100,000 of your savings to go on on a space shuttle ride?".
I'd personally take the money. We could probably buy a ticket on a similar space shuttle ten years down the road for $20,000.

Who's that Ramsey guy?
My parents always pinched pennies and worked like dogs. Now barely retired, having paid off the house a couple weeks ago, they both can't drive, go on trips and my father is <possibly> on his death bed.
I agree that saving is not optional, but at some point you got to freaking enjoy life!

I wouldn't rule out taking a space shuttle ride at some point before I'm sixty years old, but I'd rather spend a few thousand dollars twenty years from now, and take one or both of my daughters along for the ride, than I would blow $100,000 today. If I owned my own consulting firm, then I would have more consideration for taking the trip today, because in addition to it being fun, it would also be an opportunity for publicity. I can see how a consultant would love to be known as "The DBA From Space".
Post #1208375
Posted Friday, November 18, 2011 7:48 AM
SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Today @ 2:26 PM

I enjoy life, but I don't have to pursue foolish stunts to do so. 100K would buy a cruise around the world. Or I could chose to help family members, the community or myself. The money could update the computer lab at local school, build a hacker space to inspire geeks of all ages, or fund the local storm spotters.
Post #1208376
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Wednesday, July 2, 2014 7:28 AM

There's another way to frame the question:

You come home from work and tell your other half you've won $100K. "Great!" he/she says, "what shall we spend it on?"
"Erm, I've blown it all on a trip into space. There's only one ticket. For me."

How long do you think you'd survive?
Post #1208377

Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Today @ 11:09 AM
Interesting conundrum - more importantly, are those who would take the money disqualified? {-:
Post #1208378
Posted Friday, November 18, 2011 7:51 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 12:52 AM
icocks (11/18/2011)

There's another way to frame the question:

You come home from work and tell your other half you've won $100K. "Great!" he/she says, "what shall we spend it on?"
"Erm, I've blown it all on a trip into space. There's only one ticket. For me."

How long do you think you'd survive?

Single, no children and owner of my consulting firm

SPACE IT IS.

The problem is that we're ruled out from the contest where I live!
Post #1208380
Posted Friday, November 18, 2011 8:35 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Today @ 4:43 AM
I'm thinking that being "The DBA in Space" could be worth rather more than $100k to your career...

Being "The DBA Who Took the Cash", not so much.
Post #1208409
Posted Friday, November 18, 2011 8:45 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 2:28 PM
@DBA_ANDY (11/18/2011)
Interesting conundrum - more importantly, are those who would take the money disqualified? {-:

No, you can do what you want.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1208420
Posted Friday, November 18, 2011 8:48 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 11:06 AM
At other points in my life I would have taken the cash, but now I want to be the DBA from SPACE. If I won, or should I say when I win , I will be happy to join the exclusive club of sub-orbital space space jockeys. $100,000 is not enough to convince me to miss this opportunity. By the way I got all the questions right so I am in the running. Good luck to everyone else who entered

Francis
Post #1208425
Posted Friday, November 18, 2011 8:58 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 2:28 PM
I'd take the cash, but I would blow it on an adventure. Surfing in Australia or skiing in the Swiss Alps sound good to me.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1208441
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse