Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 1234»»»

IT staff would rather pocket $100k than blast off into space Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Friday, November 18, 2011 12:08 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, July 15, 2008 7:24 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item IT staff would rather pocket $100k than blast off into space
Post #1208107
Posted Friday, November 18, 2011 2:52 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Monday, November 10, 2014 9:11 AM
The psychology of this is quite interesting.

If I won a trip into space, would I swap it for $100,000 ? I'm not sure, the temptation of taking the trip would be pretty big.

But if I won $100,000 would my first choice for the money be to spend it on a trip to space ? Absolutely not !
Post #1208174
Posted Friday, November 18, 2011 6:11 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Wednesday, December 17, 2014 1:30 AM
Hardly surprising. $100,000 ~ £60,000 - with that I could pay off mine and my girlfriend's student debt (£30,000 for me, £18,000 for her) and be able to put the rest together with our savings and put a deposit on a house. All of which would help us live our lives more comfortably.

A trip to space would be cool, but reality often has to win against dreams

Not a DBA, just trying to learn

For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

For better, quicker answers on SQL Server performance related questions, click on the following...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

If you litter your database queries with nolock query hints, are you aware of the side effects?
Try reading a few of these links...

(*) Missing rows with nolock
(*) Allocation order scans with nolock
(*) Consistency issues with nolock
(*) Transient Corruption Errors in SQL Server error log caused by nolock
(*) Dirty reads, read errors, reading rows twice and missing rows with nolock

LinkedIn | Blog coming soon (for sufficiently large values of "soon" )!
Post #1208276
Posted Friday, November 18, 2011 6:42 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Friday, October 10, 2014 2:20 AM
There's also the aspect that while Armadillo Aerospace seem an interesting outfit they don't seem particularly close to having the capability to launch manned sub-orbital flights. Given the choice between a definite $100K now or a slightly vague promise of a flight at an unknown future date I'm afraid the $100K wins.
Post #1208322
Posted Friday, November 18, 2011 6:54 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Thursday, November 27, 2014 4:23 AM
SPACE, anytime.

100K is easy-ish to come buy with more work. Space is another story and not enough of a motivator to work towards for that long (for me atm anyways).
Post #1208329
Posted Friday, November 18, 2011 7:11 AM
Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Last Login: Friday, December 19, 2014 2:47 PM
Maybe there's a few DBA's, developers, executives and congressmen that have all the bills for years, medical expenses, the kids college funds and the mortgage paid off, etc, but I'm not in that minority.

But outside of practical personal and household financial matters, the money would go far to help one career wise. I don't get to use many of the newer tools that the blogosphere and Twits fawn over. I could replace my older hardware and software, take a few courses and attend some out of town conferences and maybe take a real vacation to reset my mental state.

Post #1208341
Posted Friday, November 18, 2011 7:17 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 3:16 AM
It's a tough one. The cash would be might useful. On the other hand, bet it'd be one hell of a ride*!

*Once they actually have something working...
Post #1208345
Posted Friday, November 18, 2011 7:20 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Friday, June 20, 2014 1:26 PM
In making a choice we also have to consider that in the past year 10% of all rocket launches have failed (and that number is higher if you also count the Japanese probe that failed to make its Venus insertion burn in May and is now taking an unscheduled trip around the Sun). A substantial number of those failures have been with Russian equipment. Fortunately the crew they just sent to the ISS made it.

But the reality of a nearly 10% chance of becoming a puddle on the Siberian prairie instead of becoming one of the lucky few members of the 65-Mile High Club is probably a significant motivator to Take The Cash.
Post #1208348
Posted Friday, November 18, 2011 7:27 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Friday, December 19, 2014 11:21 AM
Ken Mercadante (11/18/2011)
In making a choice we also have to consider that in the past year 10% of all rocket launches have failed (and that number is higher if you also count the Japanese probe that failed to make its Venus insertion burn in May and is now taking an unscheduled trip around the Sun). A substantial number of those failures have been with Russian equipment. Fortunately the crew they just sent to the ISS made it.

But the reality of a nearly 10% chance of becoming a puddle on the Siberian prairie instead of becoming one of the lucky few members of the 65-Mile High Club is probably a significant motivator to Take The Cash.

A rocket malfunction resulting in an unscheduled trip around the Sun would really suck. Then again, it would also allow me some time to study for my next cert exam, and it would provide a perfectly valid excuse for not showing up at work for the next year. I hope they pack the shuttle with plenty of sardines and vitamin water.
Post #1208354
Posted Friday, November 18, 2011 7:31 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Friday, December 19, 2014 11:21 AM
Ninja's_RGR'us (11/18/2011)
SPACE, anytime.

100K is easy-ish to come buy with more work. Space is another story and not enough of a motivator to work towards for that long (for me atm anyways).

Dave Ramsey would frame the question this way: "Given your current financial circumstances, would spend $100,000 of your savings to go on on a space shuttle ride?".
I'd personally take the money. We could probably buy a ticket on a similar space shuttle ten years down the road for $20,000.
Post #1208362
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse