Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Collation and SQL_VARIANT Expand / Collapse
Author

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:50 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Collation and SQL_VARIANT

Paul White
SQL Server MVP
SQLblog.com
@SQL_Kiwi
Post #1198425
Posted Tuesday, November 1, 2011 1:47 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:35 PM
Great question, Paul!!

Your production code will likely be more careful with these issues.

Can I interpret this as "Your production code will likely completely avoid the use of SQLVariant"?

(Okay, there may be circumstances where SQLVariant has its use, but I would strongly suggest only using it for data that is stored and retrieved but never operated upon in any other way).

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
Post #1198475
Posted Tuesday, November 1, 2011 2:31 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Today @ 1:27 AM
I'd never heard of SQL_VARIANT, thanks for the question.

BrainDonor
Linkedin
Blog Site
Post #1198485
Posted Tuesday, November 1, 2011 2:37 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Thursday, July 24, 2014 1:53 AM
Also now validated on SQL Server 2000!

Learnt a couple of new things today. Thanks for the question.

Post #1198486
Posted Tuesday, November 1, 2011 2:40 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 2:01 AM
Great question, thanks.
Having worked on a database where tables had been defined with different collations to the default, and making use of SQL_VARIANT types, this was moderately simple.

I would echo Hugo's comment re the use of SQL_VARIANT: use only as a last resort.

Post #1198488
Posted Tuesday, November 1, 2011 2:55 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:50 AM
Hugo Kornelis (11/1/2011)
Great question, Paul!!

Can I interpret this as "Your production code will likely completely avoid the use of SQLVariant"?

(Okay, there may be circumstances where SQLVariant has its use, but I would strongly suggest only using it for data that is stored and retrieved but never operated upon in any other way).

Hah! Well I came across this collation behaviour with SQL_VARIANT when I was thinking one day about how EAV systems would work when confronted with string data with different comparison semantics that needed to be stored in the same (value) column. For sure, SQL_VARIANT is a niche market - but I have found it useful with UNPIVOT (or the equivalent APPLY syntax) from time to time. Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed the question.

Paul White
SQL Server MVP
SQLblog.com
@SQL_Kiwi
Post #1198491
Posted Tuesday, November 1, 2011 3:20 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:35 PM
SQL Kiwi (11/1/2011)
Great question, Paul!!

Hah! Well I came across this collation behaviour with SQL_VARIANT when I was thinking one day about how EAV systems would work when confronted with string data with different comparison semantics that needed to be stored in the same (value) column. For sure, SQL_VARIANT is a niche market - but I have found it useful with UNPIVOT (or the equivalent APPLY syntax) from time to time. Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed the question.

Yeah, EAV and UNPIVOT are about the only options I can think of where I would even consider SQLVariant. And, as I said, I would only store the value and toss it back to the user, not do anything fancy with it (like searching). Using EAV for anything else then simply storing and retrieving is worse than opening twenty cans of worms.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
Post #1198501
Posted Tuesday, November 1, 2011 3:24 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Friday, July 4, 2014 9:03 AM
Paul - nice question today.
Post #1198503
Posted Tuesday, November 1, 2011 3:37 AM

SSCommitted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:23 AM
SQL Kiwi (11/1/2011)
Great question, Paul!!

Yeah, EAV and UNPIVOT are about the only options I can think of where I would even consider SQLVariant. And, as I said, I would only store the value and toss it back to the user, not do anything fancy with it (like searching). Using EAV for anything else then simply storing and retrieving is worse than opening twenty cans of worms.

I occassionally use an EAV type thing for very limited cases (storing central control variables that may vary by territory say) - is SQL_VARIANT a good move for storing these, where it may be text numbers or dates? I've tended to just use nvarchar(MAX) before and convert as needed.

For the UNPIVOT this would be for normalising some data perhaps for import purposes? I'm just struggling to come up with a use for this SQL_VARIANT chappy.
Post #1198506
Posted Tuesday, November 1, 2011 4:11 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 11:04 AM
one more time, great question!

thanks, paul!

rfr.ferrari
DBA - SQL Server 2008
MCITP | MCTS

remember is live or suffer twice!
Post #1198522
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse