Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««7891011

Query Plan Execution Order Expand / Collapse
Author
SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, November 3, 2014 4:30 PM
SQL Kiwi (1/16/2012)
Sergiy (1/15/2012)
Which means - Fuel counting executes before fuel is pumped.

The part that resets the counter does, yes.

Part of it. Exactly. But not the whole operation.
Of course, the total amount of fuel pumped is only shown once dispensing of fuel is complete.

Glad you have finally agreed!

The analogy is not perfect because the mechanics of query plan execution and fuel dispensing are not that close. The fuel system has a direct feedback to shut off fuel delivery when the operator releases the nozzle grip
You may hit "Stop" button any time. Pretty much the same thing.
or when a pre-set volume or cost of fuel has been delivered.

TOP operator does exactly that.

Fuel delivery would also stop, I guess, if the underground tank ran dry

If you run aggregation against all records then you'll stop only when there are no more records int the "undeground tank".

It's hard to see where the JOIN appears in fuel delivery for example.

It's more obvious for our American friends. They've got a single nozzle for all types of fuel.
So their pump stations have a "JOIN dbo.FuelType" operator somewhere inside, between the tanks and the nozzle.

In any case, it all comes back to how the reader interprets 'executes'. Your view differs from the majority,

5 or 10 people are not the majority.
Did you test "Fuel counting executes before fuel pumping" on other people?
Try it and see what the real majority will agree with.
Post #1236960
Posted Monday, January 16, 2012 8:36 PM
SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Toreador (1/16/2012)

An awful lot of bandwidth would have been saved if you'd just said "yes I agree, it's lingual"!

Well, as long as we communicate here in some language, it has to be lingual.

-Die not spare life!

Life depends on where you put a comma.
Semantics, nothing else.

In another QoD with very similar meanin Paul asked "Which table is accessed first?"
If it would be "scanned" or "read" then there would be a space for a similar argument.
But "accessed" is exactly the word which describes what he had in mind.

In this case "executes" was an obviously bad choice.
Lack of answer on "executes what?" proves the point.
Post #1236964
Posted Monday, January 16, 2012 11:25 PM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:45 AM
L' Eomot Inversé (1/16/2012)
Aynway, to answer Sergiy's happiness question (I probably shouldn't answer it, but as he's specifically asked I think I have a little license here): I'm happy because the QotD and it's answer are perfectly correct (well, nothings perfect - but as near as we get), but thoroughly unhappy because Sergiy seems to be trying to turn the discussion into a debate on the meaning of the verb "execute" which has been interpreted with total accuracy by Paul and can never (in the English I hear, speak, read, and write) be interpreted as meaning "finishes its execution" as S appears to want it to be, and bringing up completely irrelevant and pointless analogies. Perhaps he could start a new thread on the meaning of "execute" (which we could all ignore)? Maybe I'm being unfair, but I can't see any point to the continuing discussion.

I now agree with you and Hugo. Time to move on, I think.

Paul White
SQL Server MVP
SQLblog.com
@SQL_Kiwi
Post #1237000
Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 3:07 PM
SSCarpal Tunnel

I see you've got the petrol station analogy.

Time to wrap it up.

Post #1237554
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««7891011

Permissions Expand / Collapse