Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Pascals Triangle, Home Work and Root Cause Analysis Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, October 19, 2011 3:16 PM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, December 3, 2014 7:24 AM
CELKO - your code does not compile. Looks like some logic is missing in the case statement.

I don't get " SELECT fact FROM Factrorials WHERE @f = @n " I @f supposed to be a column or a variable?

I like the idea of it and the recommendation of storing calendar data in table.
Post #1193262
Posted Thursday, October 20, 2011 9:30 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:00 PM
Nice article.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Post #1193846
Posted Thursday, October 20, 2011 12:18 PM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Friday, December 12, 2014 8:24 PM
David.Poole (10/19/2011)
Joe, I should have remembered that. I think one of your books mentioned storing a calendar table rather than trying to workout calendar maths on the fly.

It is so easy to forget that storing a few thousand records for utility sets costs next to nothing but delivers one hell of a lot of utility

My age is showing with the look up tables I pushed in THINKING IN SETS I remember when we did not have anything but a slide rule. The books had tables in the back. Finance books had ones for NPV, IRR; trig and log functions in math books; chemistry had stuff I never understood

The other trick is to VALUES() to construct a constant VIEW or a CTE of this stuff so you can drop it into queries.

Books in Celko Series for Morgan-Kaufmann Publishing
Analytics and OLAP in SQL
Data and Databases: Concepts in Practice
Data, Measurements and Standards in SQL
SQL for Smarties
SQL Programming Style
SQL Puzzles and Answers
Thinking in Sets
Trees and Hierarchies in SQL
Post #1193964
Posted Friday, October 21, 2011 4:07 PM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 12:22 AM
As a teenager I had a job delivering potatoes to fish and chip shops across the staffordshire plains. The boss had a book called a ready-reckoner to help calculate the bills.

I remember the books of sin/cos/tan tables, normal distribution figures etc. I also remember that they would contain small rounding errors on specific values as a means of checking whether or not a rival publisher had violated the copyright.

My first IT job had me loading 1/4 inch tapes for backup purposes. You had to master a strange TiChi maneuver to get the ultimate efficient loading technique!

Then there was the short straw of having to crawl through the roof space with a crimping tool to wire up a 25 pin plug to connect the mini-computer to dumb terminals. A job made harder by the fact that the boss used to bribe us with whiskey!

Happier times, and as Phil Factor once described, a time when having an interesting personality disorder was a pre-requisite for a career in IT.

LinkedIn Profile
Newbie on www.simple-talk.com
Post #1194719
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse