Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Handling The Text Data Type Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 4:45 AM
So now if I want the substring to work the way i want do you have an idea to solve this.. as this thing is eating my head now...
I am stuck into this problem from last week..
Post #562014
Posted Monday, September 1, 2008 8:53 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 2:13 AM
harsha.bhagat1 (9/1/2008)
So now if I want the substring to work the way i want do you have an idea to solve this.. as this thing is eating my head now...
I am stuck into this problem from last week..

Harsha, there might just be a solution here http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic560267-8-1.aspx

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden
Exploring Recursive CTEs by Example Dwain Camps
Post #562024
Posted Monday, September 1, 2008 9:07 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

That is my question only:)
Thats me ..
Harsha Bhagat
Post #562029
Posted Monday, September 1, 2008 9:21 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 2:13 AM
harsha.bhagat1 (9/1/2008)
That is my question only:)
Thats me ..
Harsha Bhagat

Harsha Bhagat, if the proposed solution posted in your original thread fails to work for you, then why not post there, explaining how it fails? Then we can continue working in the original thread without railroading this one.

Cheers

ChrisM

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden
Exploring Recursive CTEs by Example Dwain Camps
Post #562032
Posted Monday, September 1, 2008 9:29 AM
SSC-Addicted

Its not the solution..
There is the problem what i found after working on it more today.
I am not able to split my text field. Today I found that the substring is not wrking properly for which my data is not comming properly..
Since there was a suggestion and I think it was you , but it isnot working with the tally table..
Or I think may be the code is not full..

I am still working on it.:) ..
On the site I found handling text field. So iread and posted my problem
The other one is I had asked as I was notr aware that there was an article over here regarding the text handling..
Sorry if I had given any trouble..
Post #562035
Posted Friday, March 27, 2009 2:12 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 8:06 AM
Thanks for posting that. I noticed the same thing but thought I had missed something.

Any idea what the alternative is? I expect using SUBSTRING.
Post #685383
Posted Monday, May 4, 2009 1:02 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, May 4, 2009 1:00 AM
Well done, Robert!
Thanks for sharing your knowledge - it really saved when working on a clients' old SQL 2000 Server!
Post #709210
Posted Monday, October 11, 2010 3:07 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, September 13, 2013 1:35 PM
Hi

Thank you so much for this very informative article.

I have been trying to analyze the windows registry with SQL Server and found some lines to be over 60 thousand characters long!

I would like to chop the long lines into 2000 character segments and put it into a new table with the original rowID, segmentID, and the 2000 characters in a varchar field.

With what you've shown I think it will work.

Thanks so much!!

Conrad
Post #1002454
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse