Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

HierarchyID performance problems... Really??? Expand / Collapse
Author
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 5:53 AM
We are now just evaluating its use in our shop. We would not have big data to work with though.

Thanks...Chris
Post #1185508
Posted Tuesday, October 4, 2011 2:00 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 12:03 AM
Sean Lange (10/4/2011)
I think that may be further proof that few people has utilized this...nobody want to speak on a topic that they don't know about. I am hoping I can find some time soon to look through the test you have so far. I know I am going to have a project in the next few months where this could be really useful. In my case I would need more of a forest (multiple roots) but I may be able to use the hierarchyID as part of the solution.

That's exactly what I'm thinking, Sean.

Shifting gears, I've done some rather extensive work with "forests of trees" using Nested Sets. I can't say what we're using it for because it's a proprietary process that might be patentable. If you can say, what would you be using it for? I'm asking because I might be able to help with some of the information I've developed for the article I'm slowly putting together on the subject of Hierarchical queries.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1185520
Posted Tuesday, October 4, 2011 2:02 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

CGSJohnson (10/4/2011)
We are now just evaluating its use in our shop. We would not have big data to work with though.

Thanks...Chris

Thanks for the feedback, Chris. I realize it's a bit off subject for this thread but what would you end up using hierarchical structures for?

--Jeff Moden

Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
Post #1185522
Posted Tuesday, October 4, 2011 2:07 PM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 5:53 AM
Hi, Jeff. Sorry, but I cannot talk about it all. However, one use would be for the common goal of organizational structure.

Thanks...Chris
Post #1185529
Posted Tuesday, October 4, 2011 2:08 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 7:31 AM
Jeff Moden (10/4/2011)
Sean Lange (10/4/2011)
I think that may be further proof that few people has utilized this...nobody want to speak on a topic that they don't know about. I am hoping I can find some time soon to look through the test you have so far. I know I am going to have a project in the next few months where this could be really useful. In my case I would need more of a forest (multiple roots) but I may be able to use the hierarchyID as part of the solution.

That's exactly what I'm thinking, Sean.

Shifting gears, I've done some rather extensive work with "forests of trees" using Nested Sets. I can't say what we're using it for because it's a proprietary process that might be patentable. If you can say, what would you be using it for? I'm asking because I might be able to help with some of the information I've developed for the article I'm slowly putting together on the subject of Hierarchical queries.

I have kind of wondered if the nested set would be easier/better for my situation. I am not doing it for anything proprietary by any stretch of the imagination. I am going to be completely rebuilding our menu system for one of our websites. The original knuckleheads that "designed" should be shot. I am thinking that the forest of trees would be perfect for this. It will not likely get very "deep" but the second and third levels can get fairly large as this is a ecomm site for about a half million skus. I can imagine how cool it would be if I could move whole "branches" from one tree to another, or at least copy them from one to the other.

I could of course do this pretty simple with an adjaceny list but what fun is recreating a technique that is already way out of date when there are better ways of accomplishing this?

I would be thrilled to help in anyway that I can.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Moden's splitter.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns
Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1)
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2)
Post #1185530
Posted Tuesday, October 4, 2011 3:41 PM

SSC-Dedicated

Sean Lange (10/4/2011)
I could of course do this pretty simple with an adjaceny list but...

Oddly enough, I've found "hybrid" tables that contain an Adjacency List, Hierarchical Path (without the HierarchyID, so far), and Nested Sets to have advantages that no one particular method has. For example and as you've said, it's very easy to move, add, and delete nodes and whole sub-trees in the Adjacency List (a human can easily eye-ball the correct changes, if necessary) but there's some blinding speed and query flexibility to be had with Nested Sets.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Post #1185586
Posted Tuesday, October 4, 2011 3:43 PM

SSC-Dedicated

CGSJohnson (10/4/2011)
Hi, Jeff. Sorry, but I cannot talk about it all. However, one use would be for the common goal of organizational structure.

Thanks...Chris

Understood. Thanks for the thought, anyway.

Yep... I agree... organizational structures are a primary use of hierarchies.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Post #1185588
Posted Tuesday, October 4, 2011 3:54 PM

SSC-Dedicated

I guess I can wrap this thread up by saying I've done a deeper dive on some of the internet posts that claim performance problems with the HierarchyID datatype and its related methods. So far, all of them have turned out to be "false alarms" where certain (bad) programming practices, such as the use of non-SARGable search predicates, were used that would slow down any query and not just those related to the HierarchyID.

I haven't given up the search for actual performance problems caused by the use of the HierarchyID datatype or related methods, but I'm going to turn my efforts more to comparing performance between the HierarchyID methods and Nested Set methods.

Thanks to the good folks who posted on this thread and, believe it or not, thanks to the folks that didn't... it kind of shows that not a whole lot of people have to work with Hierarchies and the ones that are, simply aren't having performance problems with their hierarchies, are not working with large hierarchies, or are simply not aware that they may have a performance problem.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Post #1185591
Posted Wednesday, October 5, 2011 12:07 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 6:11 AM
CGSJohnson (10/4/2011)

Thanks...Chris

Don't talk to Jeff about it, if you'd have to kill him afterward ! I need him next Tuesday evening

Back to the topic though, I haven't seen HierarchyID being used.
I only played a bit with it to just get a little grip on it.

BTW you don't need million row objects to get into performance problems, so strive for most optimal setup as much as you can !

Johan

Don't drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
but keeping both feet on the ground won't get you anywhere

- How to post Performance Problems
- How to post data/code to get the best help

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt ?

"press F1 for solution", "press shift+F1 for urgent solution"

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me
Post #1185670
Posted Wednesday, October 5, 2011 5:18 AM

SSC-Dedicated

ALZDBA (10/5/2011)
BTW you don't need million row objects to get into performance problems, so strive for most optimal setup as much as you can !

Heh... true enough. Some of the posts with "performance problems" talked about hierarchy tables with only a thousand or so rows. That's why I test with a million... it makes the "thousands" easy.

Thanks for the feedback, Johan. I know a lot of folks that say they're going to impliment it "soon" for one reason or another, but I don't know of anyone who actually has. I know a couple of folks that have implimented hierarchies in their work... they just haven't done it using the HierarchyID datatype.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Post #1185780
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse