Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

ETL DATA TESTING Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Friday, September 30, 2011 12:18 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, September 17, 2013 2:07 PM
I have source side stored procedure.Using which i need to do analysis and write test cases.
In the stored procedure , they are updating data after wrting the stored procedure.Do any one know how to write testcases for update statments.

Komal
Post #1183878
Posted Friday, September 30, 2011 2:49 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, November 6, 2014 1:00 PM
To be honest I do not know of any "Standard" test procedure as you are requesting. But you can do a great deal of "testing", checking for "good practices" by examining the T-SQL statements. I would for example.

1. Each SP should include a TRY CATCH block - if some mistakes exist the TRY CATCH can be coded to return a appropriate error message.

2. Each SP should (in my opinion) have a BEGIN / COMMIT / ROLL BACK transaction. To some extent makes each SP check itself and "undo" errors. Try reading this
http://www.sqlteam.com/article/introduction-to-transactions

and
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/database/sqlservertransactions.aspx

3. Visual examination to insure that each update SP has the appropriate WHERE clause. (MOST IMPORTANT)

Hope this gets you started.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read

Before posting a performance problem please read
Post #1183957
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse